new turkey hunting - picking a spot

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Franco

new turkey hunting - picking a spot

Postby Franco » January 29th, 2011, 3:41 am

In turkey hunting, what do you base your spot/location on? I have lots of land available, so how do I prepare for my first hunt in picking where to go?

Steve_In

RE: new turkey hunting - picking a spot

Postby Steve_In » January 29th, 2011, 5:04 am

Get out on the land you have to hunt and look for sign. Leave the calls at home. If there is snow down look for tracks or in the mud along field edges and trails. In the woods look for scratchings. A scratching looks like a V in the leaves. The turkey clears a spot and looks for acorns, grubs etc. Take a pair on binoculars and look at distant fields again with snow down turkeys will show up as black or dark objects and should be easy to spot in the open. Keep your pressure down to a minimum and resist the temptation to call. as it gets nearer to season go into the area you have seen turkeys before daylight and listen for gobbles. The sound of a gobble carries a long way and this will help you to learn where they roost. Also drive the roads and look for flocks in the area. This time of year you may see almost all of the turkeys in an area in a couple of large flocks.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 29th, 2011, 5:22 am

There is no where I can tell you is a prime spot to get your first turkey because that is where you got to do your homework. You got to get out in the woods and find out their routines. From where they like to roost, where they go to eat, and where the gobblers love to strut. When you find that out you will figure out where the best spot is. Now thier feeding areas will change some as the seasons change but usually in the spring they will stay in the same general area. As the days start to warm up try using a owl call right before sunup or when it first gets a little dark and you might be able to get a gobbler to shock gobble that way you can find out where they are roosting. During the daytime, try using a crow call to get them to gobble and find where they are and where they're going. There are several different locator calls on the market you can try. I know it seems like there is alot to turkey hunting but it pays off when you got that big gobbler coming in to you in full strut and you realize that all of that work paid off.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 29th, 2011, 10:47 am

It varies so much with terrain. Hunt where the turkeys want to be. It takes scouting, where they were during deer season does not dictate where they will be during turkey season.
South Carolina Low Country

shaman

Postby shaman » February 1st, 2011, 11:45 pm

The first thing I would try to do is get out early and listen for gobbling.  You can cover a lot of ground using your ears at sunrise.  After flydown, I would start scouring the woods and the fields for:

1)  Tracks 
2)  Scratches
3)  Feathers
4)  Scat
5) Dusting

Somewhere in all of this I would head towards the source of the morning gobbling and see if I could find a roost tree.  That will be a center of activity .

In the beginning, it will be a matter of brute force. Over time, the scouting gets to be easier.  You begin to recognize the spots where the spoor is most likely to show up.  I wish folks had been able to tell me better when I was coming along, and I wish I could give you a better explanation.  Some parts of the woods just have turkey written all over them. Some don't.

I'll throw this out for discussion:  I would postulate that if you are getting worn out dragging your ankles and knees through the brush, you're probably not going to find turkey or turkey spoor.  Turkeys like it where it's easy for a turkey-sized bird to walk.    You also won't find them in places that have 5 yards visibility all the way around, looking from the viewpoint of a the bird.  They also don't want to be somewhere with a lot of overhanging stuff close to the ground.  They want to be able to look around, run and fly. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Franco

Postby Franco » February 2nd, 2011, 6:12 am

Thanks

So get in the woods this time of the year and look and listen. Look for signs and listen for gobblers?

There is a look to a turkey woods, but that comes only with experience.

If its tough brush to walk thru and tough to see a turkey, they probably wont be there either because they can't see ther predators or escape easily.

Good to have water close by, but they can usuall find water some way or in the food they eat.

The could roost in anything, thick or thin, but oftern may find a dying tree.

Question- in the sping time in Indiana, what do you think is their main diet? Bugs on ground, flying bugs, seeds, nuts, grass, left over corn in fields. They may eat any of this, but I would think a turkey hunts with the idea of success, so where would he go first for a successful hunt.

Question- I would say find hens and you find gobblers, we are the same way. So does the hen have any specific traits to look for that are different than gobblers?

Question- Roosting- do they roost on the edge of fields or far away from a field or where they eat? Do they like to roost in old woods, meaning limbs high up or newer woods, limbs lower on the trees? The roost alone or in groups?

shaman

Postby shaman » February 2nd, 2011, 6:23 am

I'm in Bracken County, KY about 10 miles from the Ohio River.  In the Spring, the gobs seem to be eating on two things-- leftover acorns and clover. 

Let me rephrase that. They are eating  leftover acorns and Clover!!!

Most gobs I kill have their craw filled with clover and not much else. 

In regards to roosting: Most of my turkeys roost at the head of the holler, or at the foot of the holler or somewhere in-between.  I usually don't see them roost right on top of the ridge.  However they frequently are roosting in the bottoms.  It all seems to be related to weather, but I can never seem to predict things.  All I know is one day they're here and the next day they're over there and then later in the week they're back where they started.  Around my part of the world, it's all ridges and hollers.  If you've got knobs or flats or whatever, your turkeys will probably act differently.  You'll have to scout them out and find their preferences.

Start getting out soon and looking for the flocks and finding where they roost and learn their patterns.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » February 2nd, 2011, 10:15 am

Everyones pretty much covered it all alreadyl

I would just add that all this scouting and information gathering helps with hunting the birds on any day...but helps even more on days when birds are quiet and you're forced to pick a location for a morning, afternoon or all day, to set up and call from.

Knowing where to put your hours in on those days for sure makes all the difference in the world in regards to seeing or not seeing birds.

Good luck to you

Bobby
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 2nd, 2011, 12:13 pm

I know a man who looks a lot like the guy in my avatar picture who would be happy to help you hunt...er, I mean scout your land. What state are you in? Is it possible to have enough quality turkey hunting land? Didn't think so.

Seriously though, you got loads of good advice from the folks above and should be well on your way if you follow it. Please post a picture & story of your hunt here when you succeed. Good luck hunting.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

grizzly

Postby grizzly » February 2nd, 2011, 12:24 pm

sound advice from  all the above can't think of any more to add so i won't [:)] franco you have been asking a lot of qestions (thats a  good thing keep'em comeing) and i have been reading all the responds from all the guys and i have to say good work guys i have really been enjoying the tone and helpness the been on the site this year i think we have a really good thing going here i wish i had a place like this to come to when i started hunting[;)]wayne

Next

Return to Strategies