A Headache

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
WillowRidgeCalls

A Headache

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 18th, 2011, 3:32 pm

So far no one can tell me if a Gibson is considered a long box or a short. The two bottom calls are what I've entered at Nationals as a Box Call Set in the hunting calls. The problem is no one can tell me if a Gibson is a long or short box? I talked with Karen Cavender who registers all the calls for the contest, to see if I can enter them as a set or if I need to enter them as single calls? She forwarded my question onto thhe chairman of the call committee and he couldn't answere it either. He sent me an email back and said they would check it out and get back to me. He got back to me and said he ran out of people to ask. There has never been a Gibson entered at Nationals. [:D] So now we are down to what does it measure? The long box on top is 12" with a 6-1/2" cut out, the Gibson is 10" with a 6" cut out, the Turpin is 8" with a 5-5/8 cut out, a Gibson sits right in between. So I'm still waiting to find out what it is considered? At Midwest I entered it as a long box? So what do you guys think?

WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

RE: A Headache

Postby kygobbler » January 18th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Well. here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. I would consider it a long box because it is longer than the short. Now there are proably rules stating that a box has to be "x" amount of inches for each catagory, because of that maybe they might start a new size and call it a medium box. Either way it is a nice looking call and Im sure it is going to bring a lot of turkeys for someone.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 19th, 2011, 2:32 pm

Good question although I have never heard of a Gibson refered to as a longbox.
Apparently there is no length restrictions for long or short boxes or the question would have been answered immediately.
In my opinion I would say short box as the longbox is build to produce high pitch raspy yelps with volume the gibson is not. It's original intention was to be run as a short box.
Just my opinion.

Jon
Turkeybuster

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 19th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Jon there is a length restriction between a long and short box. The problem is that a Gibson sits in between the two, so I guess it up to them to decide which class they put it in? There has never been a Gibson entered so nobody know which class to put it in. None of the experts at Nationals can even determine what it should be called? [:-] It'll be interesting to find out, so I guess I'm being a problem child [:D].
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 20th, 2011, 3:13 am

I reckon you could say the Gibson's come in 1/2 sizes.

Jon [:D]
Turkeybuster

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 20th, 2011, 7:07 am

They may have to start a new class for Shorong Boxes [:D]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » January 20th, 2011, 7:55 am

What generates the volume or pitch in box calls?  Is it the inside cutout or the length and width of a box?  I have no idea but perhaps they can categorize the boxes based on outside length and dugout length for example :)
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 20th, 2011, 10:17 am

I believe that is what they use to decide what class a call goes in Arnie, but that changes with each builder, some boxes are long or shorter then others. So I'm going down an unexplored road and hoping the bridge isn't washed out. [:D] There has never been one entered so they don't know what catagory to put it in? [:D]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 21st, 2011, 11:50 am

Well they finally figured out what a Gibson is. They had to do some digging through all the old records and pictures and everything eles, but they classifided them as a Long Box. [:D]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 21st, 2011, 1:20 pm

Unbeleiveable!

jON
Turkeybuster

Next

Return to Call Makers