Crossbows for Turkeys

charlie elk

Crossbows for Turkeys

Postby charlie elk » January 9th, 2011, 4:32 pm

At the spring conservation meetings there will be a question regarding the legalization of crossbows for everyone.  Most are thinking deer but if they are legalized for everyone then it follows they are legal for all game.  
I support legalization. 
Being a curious sort of guy I wonder if my thinking is mainstream or still out on the fringe?[8|]
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Duke0002

RE: Crossbows for Turkeys

Postby Duke0002 » January 9th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Charlie, I'm in favor of Xbows for everyone.   Fortunately Ohio lets us use one for turkey.  It's doubly nice when the deer bow and fall turkey seasons coincide.  I have a gimpy shoulder and it's difficult for me to use a compound let alone a long bow.

In Iowa, the state will let you use a Xbow if you have a doctor's confirmation that you are physically unable to use compound or long bows.

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » January 13th, 2011, 3:46 am

Has anyone shot a turkey with a crossbow ? Are they two fast ? Very low arrow weight, You need a heavier arrow to slow it down and provide some knock down power. You do not want a turkey to fly or run away, they do not leave a blood trail like deer. I think they would work great in a ground blind...

I have 2 bad shoulders and shoot 80% let off @ 55#'s I can hold that forever and I am to traditional to switch. I have shot for over 40 years if I could not shoot a regular bow I would quit shooting & video or guide others ect...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 14th, 2011, 5:27 am

Has anyone shot a turkey with a crossbow ? Are they two fast ?

Probably not, due to them being mostly illegal.  Speed would be a non issue, broadhead selection would be much more germane.

I have killed several turkeys with longbows & recurves while setup against a tree shooting my bow horizontally, same position as a horizontal bow (crossbow).  An arrow is an arrow they kill the same way and does not matter how it is launched.

Back when compounds first came out being a "traditional archer" I opposed them with the same arguments crossbow opponents use now a days.  I was on the wrong side of the issue back then.

As time passes tradition is in the eye of the beholder. [8|]
later,
charlie

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » January 20th, 2011, 6:57 am

There has to be someone that has shoot a turkey with a crossbow, if you are disabled and can not shoot a convencinal bow you qualify for a crossbow permit. Is the primary goal to drop the medical restriction and allow any one to use a crossbow ?
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 21st, 2011, 5:20 pm

They are legal in Indiana.
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/6069.htm#wild_turkey
From everything I have read about the difference between x-bow and the new compounds is the compounds have several advantages except for the draw.
Charlie this forum has several discussions on x-bow http://huntingindiana.proboards.com/index.cgi? You may find some info there to help your cause.

Back when compounds first came out being a "traditional archer" I opposed them with the same arguments crossbow opponents use now a days. I was on the wrong side of the issue back then.

I used to feel the same about inline muzzleloaders, I too have changed.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 22nd, 2011, 9:24 am

There has to be someone that has shoot a turkey with a crossbow, if you are disabled and can not shoot a convencinal bow you qualify for a crossbow permit. Is the primary goal to drop the medical restriction and allow any one to use a crossbow ?

For turkeys disabled hunters usually use a shotgun since it is legal to do so.  The crossbow is as challenging as any other legal archery equipment.   Disabled hunters already face many more hurdles and usually do not try and create more. 

I would think it is harder to kill a turkey with an x-bow due to the loud noise they make and the fast reflexes of the turkeys.

Yes the proposal in WI is to legalize crossbow hunting for everyone.
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 22nd, 2011, 9:33 am

They are legal in Indiana.
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/6069.htm#wild_turkey
From everything I have read about the difference between x-bow and the new compounds is the compounds have several advantages except for the draw.

Thanks for the links Steve.  I need to try out a crossbow there in IN.  I have used crossbows for hunting deer and in many respects it is much more challenging than a compound bow.  More accurately just really different.  Maybe like the difference between a modern firearm (compound) and muzzleloader (xbow).
later,
charlie

Return to Wisconsin