One suggestion

Comments and suggestions about T&TH are welcome here.
BigBuckeye

RE: One suggestion

Postby BigBuckeye » October 21st, 2010, 3:52 am

ORIGINAL: rutnstrutgamecalls

I remember seeing an article written by Jeff Budz about getting your Grand Slam for less that $2000. It may have been in OL. I called and talked to him and he was very informative on how he does this. He has taken something like 50 Grand Slams to date.

Holy smoly, that's $100,000 worth of turkey hunting....how can I get his job [:D]

I would love to try a grand slam once.  I have a 4 week sabbatical coming up in a year so I need to start planning for 2012 (before the world ends preferrably).  An article like that would be an excellent one.

I love the mag, just re-upped for three years.
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » January 14th, 2011, 5:38 pm

One thing that I have desired as a novice turkey hunter is info on the lingo of the turkey language. Yes, I know about the kee-kee, tree yelp, lost yelp, etc, etc.....but i have yet to find a book or article that tells you what the bird expects to hear back.
I understand the different sounds, but would like to know how to use them in context of a banter back and forth with a hen or gobbler.

Kinda like if I ask someone how they are doing, i usually get a response back "ok".
When a Tom sounds off, what is he wanting to hear back? When I know he is there but he goes silent, what is he expecting. Something that would bring the techniques to a practical level.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 15th, 2011, 1:42 pm

In my opinion there are hundreds of scenarios out there in the ''hunt'' . No two are alike . You are dealing with the same frustrations every turkey hunter experiences when a novice . Some hunters have had to take years to learn from experience , while some others had the ''learning curve'' shortened by mentors .

I may be wrong here on this , but , to print those endless scenarios , and how to call , which may very well vary from hunter to hunter , might take the rest of your life to read .

Best advice I can give is to spend as much time as you can ''Among the Turkeys'' , out in the woods . Simply listening and watching . The time between now and spring season is a very vocal time for flocks . You'll likely hear birds making sounds that'll have you scratching your head in amazement.
 Second best advice ,,,,Keep a journal of each and every detail of scouting ,,,watch 'n' listen,,,and the hunt. You'll never regret keeping it all written down ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and those hunts will always come back to you as you read it in years to come .

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » January 16th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Thanks Mark,
That is kinda what I was thinking. I am probably going to hit the woods in the next weekend and see what I can locate. The place where I hunt has turkeys roaming through the area year round so maybe I can get in on some flock talk.

dewey

Postby dewey » January 26th, 2011, 10:18 am

ORIGINAL: Yelp softly

Overall you guys produce a great magazine.  I quit reading deer hunting magazines years ago because you can only recycle the same articles so many times.  Every magazine typically has the same articles year after year, How to Hunt the Rut, or 10 Tips to Help You Fill Your Tag.  I just have one suggestion.  I'd like to see more articles on Do-It-Yourself hunting trips.  This month's article on hunting Indian Reservations is a great example.  I wished I had read that prior to my last 2 trips to South Dakota.  That's a long way to travel for one bird.  Some of your writers share small tidbits about their personal trips, but not enough info to make the average reader feel confident about planning a trip on their own to that particular state.

I like that idea yelp softly! I saw the article for the SD hunting trip and how you could hit a couple of indian reservations and put the hammer down on quite a few birds on one trip. The article also included contact information for the indian reservations and some great stories about the hunt itself.

How about a region trip such as KS, OK and TX for Rio's and SD, MT or WY for Merriams. Ideas such as public lands in that area and possibly even public land that offers camping. Tips and strategies for calling and locating birds to great places to eat and stay that won't break the bank but still give you a great trip.

Just my 2 cents.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Previous

Return to Magazine Feedback