How to Talk to Hens???

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
mark hay

RE: How to Talk to Hens???

Postby mark hay » January 10th, 2011, 12:55 pm

There was this gobbler that would strut and gobble on this little point throughtout the morning . I noted his love for that point and put on the sneak to get into a good position for calling . I made my position and was waiting on him to return and gobble before I made any calls . I didn't have to wait long . He may have been standing over there all the time . Just listening to me walk .
 Finally he gobbled a time or two and I gave a few faint calls . I really don't recall if I yelped or clucked or what . I do know it was faint . As soon as I started my calling a hen starts clucking to me . When she started clucking , the gobbler shut down . She was slowly moving my way . Then tom gobbled from over the ridge . Maybe he was with another hen ,,,,maybe he was just spooky,,,???????
 So when this hen continues to cluck at me I just start clucking back . I was being polite at first . Didn't speak out of turn . Didn't interrupt her . We talked back and forth for several minutes . Then I threw out a sassy cutt after a cluck . Here she comes . Cluck ,,,cluck,,,cluck,,,as she moved . Just as she came into veiw at about 35 yards she made a change . She cluck,,,cluck,,,cuttcutt,,,cluck. I was standing as this all unfolded . I repeat to the note what she had just offered to me . When I hit the cuttcutt it drove her mad. She picked up the pace and volume of her calls . By now I was getting rather rude with her and she wasn't gonna stand for it . I stomped on top of her calls with my own and would not let her out shout me . She was furious and getting close . My eyes would roll from her to the ridge line in hopes of seeing Mr. Gobbler coming over for a looksee. She stopped moving within a few yards of where I stood . Now yelping and clucking ,,,and purring . I had stopped calling just as she cleared the last thick brush .
 The same type of calling on my part , with hens of the fall , has brought on the same results .
 It was  good to see 9 hens running full bore toward me with the boss hen screaming her head off all the way . This all started with me making some gobbler yelps .
 I've not been able to provoke a fall hen that had poults with her . Had a few respond but never come in . Seems to be the barren hens that are easy to make mad and bring to the gun .

heinzc

Postby heinzc » January 15th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Mark you answered my question.  I had wondered if this was a good practice in the fall.  The fall season has been miserable for me.  I started hunting falls about three years ago because the bow hunting in my area has been really good for deer so I have had more time to fall hunt birds.  Unfortunately the birds hunt so very different, but I think now I will try talking more to the hens, and use a combination of soft and aggressive to try and at least get the birds to move.
Prov. 3:5,6

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » January 16th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Still laughing Dana, that was a hoot!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 16th, 2011, 11:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObCUbHGe ... B2&index=1

This is a live hen running her mouth. The hunter calls to her a little bit just to keep her going.
South Carolina Low Country

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » January 17th, 2011, 3:03 am

That's some great footage, 1Morgan. After all of that racket, you finally hear a gobble at the 4:30 mark. Notice how the hen head for the gobbler only a few seconds later instead of continuing the trash talking contest. Great stuff!

<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » January 17th, 2011, 3:37 am

That is a good video, 1Morgan. I've been on youtube quite a bit looking up some videos with hen chatter and that is probably one of the best videos available because she does just about everything from yelps and cutts to purrs and clucks. Great video!
Brian

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » January 17th, 2011, 9:30 am

Too funny Dana, too funny [:D]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 18th, 2011, 10:29 am

Good video ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm glad Linda doesn't carry on like that too ![:D]

dewey

Postby dewey » January 19th, 2011, 3:36 am

ORIGINAL: eggshell

Well the series that usually works best for me goes like this (translated into turkey talk): Hey you fat A## skanky B&^%$, I'm gonna put a lovin on yo man that will curl his beard and he ain't even gonna sniff you're greasy A## again....if you think you can do anything bout it com-on over and I'll jerk yo skanky tail feathers off.  Besides you can't even lay an egg without breakin it, you fool. 

It has to have that cheap hillbilly trash tone too. In comparison, when you're calling to the boys you say. Hey big boy,  what a hunk of turkey flesh, how about you bring that big ole tool over to my place and we'll see if we can wear the end off it! I learned that call series from a southern lady, said it works every time on those Georgia boys.

If you have heard a lot of loud hen calling it's probably older hens so challenge her dominance. In other words, get sassy with them. Hard clucks and cuts and fast yelp runs. A fast hard purr or two thrown in help. If they been real quiet then go soft and just barely yelp and soft short purrs, comfort calls. So they will just come to be together.

Like others have said that was hillarious!! I have been able to call the hens in before with some of the trash talking you mentioned but not quite as vulgar[:D]

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

dewey

Postby dewey » January 19th, 2011, 3:39 am

ORIGINAL: eggshell

Well the series that usually works best for me goes like this (translated into turkey talk): Hey you fat A## skanky B&^%$, I'm gonna put a lovin on yo man that will curl his beard and he ain't even gonna sniff you're greasy A## again....if you think you can do anything bout it com-on over and I'll jerk yo skanky tail feathers off.  Besides you can't even lay an egg without breakin it, you fool. 

It has to have that cheap hillbilly trash tone too. In comparison, when you're calling to the boys you say. Hey big boy,  what a hunk of turkey flesh, how about you bring that big ole tool over to my place and we'll see if we can wear the end off it! I learned that call series from a southern lady, said it works every time on those Georgia boys.

If you have heard a lot of loud hen calling it's probably older hens so challenge her dominance. In other words, get sassy with them. Hard clucks and cuts and fast yelp runs. A fast hard purr or two thrown in help. If they been real quiet then go soft and just barely yelp and soft short purrs, comfort calls. So they will just come to be together.

Like others have said that was hillarious!! I have been able to call the hens in before with some of the trash talking you mentioned but not quite as vulgar[:D] The video is similar to what I have had success with.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies