Conclusion: A Fool and His Mouth Call

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » January 14th, 2011, 11:08 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Contrary to conventional wisdom and common sense, I went after him with aggressive yelping and cutting. He didn't gobble, but I sallied forth, pausing to catch my breath after every ear-splitting calling series.

After 30 minutes of fire-hosing the turkey with my calls, I had no idea where the turkey was or what it was doing. I only knew he wasn't in front of my gun barrel. So, I paused for a few moments to consider my next move.

That's when he gobbled, of course, roughly 15 steps behind me. I tried to get the gun around on him but only spooked him -- again.

Sigh. Turkey hunting might be the only activity in which you can be so right yet end up dead wrong.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get Deer & Deer Hunting's deluxe-edition shot simulator!

TeocTom

RE: Conclusion: A Fool and His Mouth Call

Postby TeocTom » January 15th, 2011, 4:37 am

Well, that just goes to show how much I don't know. I chose to go soft.
I think I chose that in fear I would have compounded the problem from the day before.

Does this bird qualify for the bad bird list?

dewey

Postby dewey » January 27th, 2011, 5:14 am

ORIGINAL: Brian Lovett

That's when he gobbled, of course, roughly 15 steps behind me. I tried to get the gun around on him but only spooked him -- again.

Sigh. Turkey hunting might be the only activity in which you can be so right yet end up dead wrong.

So in retrospect would you have sat dead still and hoped he eventually came around you? Or how would you recommend handling this situation again? I haven't had it happen to me yet but I am sure the day is coming and I would like some advice of some people that have had success with this situation.

Thanks for the great articles Brian they have been AWESOME!!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » January 27th, 2011, 6:45 am

I probably would have been more patient, yes. However, I was unconvinced that the bird would come around in front of me. Moreover, I thought a slight terrain rise gave me enough cover to move, based on where I thought the bird was. I misjudged his location by about 20 steps, though, and he busted me immediately -- again.
Needless to say, I did not strike that bird a third time.
The same type of back-door surprise happened to me in South Carolina this past spring, and I waited for the birds to come around. They did not, but I was able to call them back in. (I never got a shot, however, because of thick palmettos). In hindsight, I probably would have tried that with the Wisconsin gobbler.
To answer TeocTom's question, yes, this turkey was a bad bird. However, he was only bad because I made him that way. Realistically, I should have killed him twice but blew it both times.

Return to Decision Time