Conclusion: Pig Penned

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » January 6th, 2011, 5:31 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Not wanting a sudden encounter with a silent longbeard, I dropped my glass call, stuck my diaphragm in my cheek and dug a slate from my vest. I scratched out three soft yelps, and a gobbler blew my hat off from 15 yards away.

Instantly, I caught movement on the other side of the cedars, and a second later, a bright white head popped up directly in front of my fiber-optic sights.

Bam. Merriam's down.

The turkeys had been coming the entire time, of course, as I'd suspected. I'd just needed to use a slightly different sound to get them to confirm that. Now and then, it pays to load your vest with all that stuff. You never know what sound or pitch will strike a gobbler's fancy, after all, even if you're stuck by an old hog pen.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to pre-order Season 6 of Deer & Deer Hunting TV.

Gobblerman

RE: Conclusion: Pig Penned

Postby Gobblerman » January 6th, 2011, 7:38 am

My only real surprise here is that the gobbler did not give away his approach somehow.  It's not like Merriams to come sneaking in without announcing themselves.  That's one of the things that makes these birds so much fun to hunt!

Jim

TeocTom

RE: Conclusion: Pig Penned

Postby TeocTom » January 13th, 2011, 4:44 pm

I got burned last season for getting too antsy.

Return to Decision Time