Scouting phases...

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Cut N Run

RE: Scouting phases...

Postby Cut N Run » January 12th, 2011, 2:52 am

I do a lot of my scouting as I'm working at the lease. Tracks, droppings, and feathers tell a lot about what's going on & where. This time of year the ticks & chiggers are not the problem they are in summer. It is easier to see farther in the woods as well.

Now is the perfect time to cut shooting lanes or get rid of that small tree that always seems to be in the way. Doing the work now will allow everything to get accustomed to the changes by the time the season rolls around. I throw some of the brush I cut onto blinds we have developed over the years. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. It is nice to have good cover available if you need to react to a gobble in a hurry.

I will be cruising the horse farm to see where the birds may be as well.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

JHA

RE: Scouting phases...

Postby JHA » January 12th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Hi Everyone.
Part time poster on this forum and struggling turkey hunter. As deer season winds down, I'm going to be rabbit hunting/scouting for turkeys. What I'd like to ask is, if possible could any of you post some pictures of spots where turkeys have scratched in the leaves or pine straw as you scout. This would be a benefit to myself and possibly some of the other new hunters as sign to look for this spring. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Previous

Return to Strategies