Dreaming Wyoming

charlie elk

Dreaming Wyoming

Postby charlie elk » September 19th, 2010, 11:45 am

Anyone else dreaming of 2011 Spring hunting in the Wyoming Black Hills?
That is one of my favorite places to hunt not much can satisfy a soul more than an overlooking vista and gobbling Merriam s all around.[:)]
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WyoHunter

RE: Dreaming Wyoming

Postby WyoHunter » December 19th, 2010, 11:56 am

Charlie I love the Black Hills NF! I hunt turkey,elk and whitetails every year in this wonderful area in the great state of Wyoming.
Gobble, Gobble, Gobble! Springtime serenade for us Turkey Hunters!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 21st, 2010, 6:23 pm

It has been a couple of years since my last hunt out your way so that needs to be corrected this spring. 
Do know if there is a lot snow in hills?  Curious about the potential timing of spring this year. Been caught up in some interesting early spring weather.
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 11th, 2011, 4:30 pm

I'm applying for a tag there that way if I get drawn for one and buy one OTC that will give me 2 tags.  Plus commits me to getting out there.[:)]
later,
charlie

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 12th, 2011, 6:04 am

ORIGINAL: charlie elk

I'm applying for a tag there that way if I get drawn for one and buy one OTC that will give me 2 tags.  Plus commits me to getting out there.[:)]

Me too.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 14th, 2011, 5:31 am

Have you done any previous hunting in the area?
later,
charlie

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 14th, 2011, 9:59 am

Charlie I have not. I have hunted the Black Hills of SD but have not been on the WY side. The terrain and tactics would be quite similar though, just don't know any specific areas to head to yet.

I am planning kind of a Merriams marathon hunt. [:D] I will hunt NW Neb, SE MT, and NE WY (if I draw the extra tag). I am also looking at Area 2 in WY on a general tag, but still could also hunt up in the NE part if I choose. My season never gets finalized until all my draws come in around mid March.

I will probably make 2 or 3 trips up that way over 3 weeks or so to explore some new ground and chase the Merriams in those beautiful Ponderosa Pine covered hills. Just got the bug to look at some new stuff. Although NW Neb is not new to me.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 15th, 2011, 9:19 am

I am planning kind of a Merriams marathon hunt. I will hunt NW Neb, SE MT, and NE WY (if I draw the extra tag). I am also looking at Area 2 in WY on a general tag, but still could also hunt up in the NE part if I choose. My season never gets finalized until all my draws come in around mid March.

Treerooster,
I like the sound of a "Merriam marathon" they are the prettiest of all the turkeys in my humble opinion anyway.  All these draws sure keep a guy's plans on edge, I too really never know when and where all my hunts will take place.  Plus when planning a mountain style hunt Mother Nature may have some wrinkles of her own.  One year in May my WY turkey camp got over 12 inches of wet snow the day before I scheduled to leave, already had my bird; probably a good thing or I would have been out hunting on some awfully slippery rocks.  The snow covered Hills were spectacular.

The hunting tactics are the same as the SD side.  I hunt on the WY side because there are fewer hunters, cheaper license and more area to wander without roads.
There is a smaller tract of BHNF land over by Devil's Tower; I have hunted in that area also even though there are fewer birds it is really cool to gaze at the Tower while hunting. [:)]  And when the sun is setting behind it......
Perhaps we'll run into each other out there.
later,
charlie

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 16th, 2011, 12:36 am

I like the sound of a "Merriam marathon" they are the prettiest of all the turkeys in my humble opinion anyway.

I had to laugh a bit. Maybe its just whats on the other side of the fence. When I finally got my first eastern I looked at it and thought "What a beautiful bird! Look at those copper colors!"[:D]

more area to wander without roads.

Now that sounds gooooood!

And when the sun is setting behind it......
Perhaps we'll run into each other out there.

Come on in...got some hot coffee on the stove.[;)]

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 17th, 2011, 5:25 pm

I had to laugh a bit. Maybe its just whats on the other side of the fence. When I finally got my first eastern I looked at it and thought "What a beautiful bird! Look at those copper colors!"

True indeed the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.  Speaking of fences it always seems no matter what land I have to hunt I need to go over just one more fence.  Mostly there are no fence barriers out there.

Oh yea I like coffee.  Your a tent hunter too! and a nice one at that.  Many guys change their mind about hunting with me when the tent is brought up.
If our schedules coincide we will have to meet on purpose rather than by accident. [;)]  
Depending on all the drawing results I am thinking my first trip out will be Apr 6.  There could some real interesting hunting conditions that early but I like the challenge of finding the first birds arriving back at higher elevations.
later,
charlie

Next

Return to Wyoming