Gobble Reports

charlie elk

Gobble Reports

Postby charlie elk » January 6th, 2011, 2:55 pm

As the days grow longer the Toms get restless, the influx of hormones causing them to vocally greet the chilly morning sun; better known as a gobble.  We hunters know what that sound does to our internal chemistry.
When you hear them start, share the excitement, a gobble is a sure sign of the nearing season.

Last year I heard the first gobbler of the new year during the last week of January. We'll see what 2011 brings.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kenturkey89

RE: Gobble Reports

Postby kenturkey89 » January 6th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Went coyote hunting this morning and heard about 35 gobbles from 5 or 6 different birds. I also heard a bunch of hens this morning as well! I'm ready for spring season!
Brian

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 7th, 2011, 4:56 am

Wow that is cool, are in Wisconsin? 
I was out early this morning with no sound except squeaking snow........
A group of gobblers I call the 13 Amigos are still sitting quietly on roost at 9:55 a. m.
later,
charlie

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » January 7th, 2011, 5:00 am

I'm in central KY and these birds hung out on the roost until about 9:45 yesterday morning as well!

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 7th, 2011, 10:10 pm

About 2 weeks ago I saw group of turkeys out in a field about 250 yards out and there was 3 birds in full strut already. Hopefully, I can sneak in on them this weekend and get one with my bow. Here in KY there is only nine more days left in the season for a bow then I'll have to wait till mid-April.

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » January 8th, 2011, 4:22 am

Hey kygobbler,

I pretty much hung up my bow after deer season this year. I saw a few birds bowhunting this year but wasn't fortunate enough to connect with one. Good luck for the next week or so on popping one of those strutters, and I feel your pain on waiting for mid-April to come.
Brian

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 8th, 2011, 4:44 am

hey kenturkey89,

last year the fish and wildlife passed where turkey season will start on the 2nd saturday of April instead of the closes saturday to the 15th,but ended up not doing it last year. Have you heard if it will go into effect this year or not I haven't heard anything about it and was wondering.

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » January 8th, 2011, 5:04 am

Kygobbler,

I've heard the same exact thing as you but I have yet to get confirmation of this. I have looked everywhere on the internet but all of the dates correspond to last years spring season. I did see something on a different forum that said season opened on April 10, but that is a Sunday and nothing opens on Sundays except occasionally dove season, so I don't believe this. I am just assuming season will open the 16th but I would love for season to open a week earlier and fall on the 9th. I'll keep checking and if I find something I'll let you know.
Brian

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 8th, 2011, 5:58 pm

You KY guys are getting me pumped.  We are hip deep in snow here in WI with the birds sitting around in a total depression; they just sit there dreaming of spring.
Now if KY opens on 4/10 you all might just have some Yankee company arriving in your beautiful state..........
later,
charlie

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 9th, 2011, 6:35 am

Well Charlie come on down just don't take all the big ones with you, atleast leave 2 for kenturkey89 and me. lol. I noticed a few minutes ago you said you're son hunts down here, where at?

Next

Return to Wisconsin