Conclusion: Blasted Off the Bluff

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » December 29th, 2010, 9:34 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

We could have hit another farm, but remember what I said about the lack of gobbling that morning? If the neighborhood longbeards weren't vocal, did it make sense to try to strike a hot one?

Not really. We decided to stay at the farm and try the spooked turkeys. We'd probably have to extra patient, but we were at least in the game.

About an hour later, my friend and I were celebrating over a flopping gobbler -- the same bird I'd spooked earlier at the plowed field. Even amidst chaos, patience had persevered.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get your 2011 Whitetail Calendar from Deer & Deer Hunting

Gobblerman

RE: Conclusion: Blasted Off the Bluff

Postby Gobblerman » January 2nd, 2011, 4:35 am

I'm interested in knowing just how that successful hunt transpired.  Did you just spot the bird again in another location?  ...Or did the bird start responding to calls? ....And did he come in to the calling or did you just figure a way to approach him?  If that bird starting gobbling at your calling and then came in,....all I got to say is, "I want to go hunt in Minnesota!"

Jim

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 3rd, 2011, 10:42 am

Old Boss Hen calling?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » January 3rd, 2011, 11:25 am

Sorry about the lack of detail. We spotted the bird, made a strategic maneuver and found a great setup near a field edge. I thought we'd eventually have to try to bushwhack the gobbler, but soft calling lured the bird to within nine steps. I believe he was heading that way anyway, but it never hurts to call from where a turkey wants to go.
Interesting side note: I was using a borrowed gun that day, and bright sunlight obscured my view of the red-dot. After a few tense moments, I finally caught a glimpse of the dot on the bird's head and fired. I was very relieved to see the bird flop.

dewey

Postby dewey » January 25th, 2011, 5:59 am

Great write ups Brian, I am really enjoying reading your dilemmas and relating them to my own situations and finding out what worked for you.

Thanks again.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Decision Time