Season Schemes May Change

charlie elk

Season Schemes May Change

Postby charlie elk » December 30th, 2010, 8:40 am

The 2 year temporary late fall/winter i.e. December hunt is up for renewal.  If not renewed we will not have an opportunity to hunt turkeys after the close of the gun deer season in 2011.  That would be a real shame let's hope it is made permanent.

Telephone registration is scheduled to start for the 2011 fall season.  I think - about time! What you all think?

2012 spring season scheme may change from 5 day hunt periods to 7 day running Wednesday to Tuesday.  Again I think- about time, the turkeys don't need Mondays and Tuesdays off every week.  This has been an incredible waste of perfectly good hunting time.  What to you all think?

later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

mark hay

RE: Season Schemes May Change

Postby mark hay » December 31st, 2010, 2:39 am

Just yesterday , Eggshell an I were discussing things along those same lines . I'm sure Wisconsin and numerous other states have a lot more public land and maybe better populations but it seems like so many of the talking heads in the Divisions that make decisions on season dates and bag limits have no real idea about things outside the building they occupy .

Probably appointed to position by ''INFLUENCE & MONEY'', with little , if any , consideration for the PUBLIC who is affected by such silly decisions .

I'm really pleased with how the Ohio Division of Wildlife operates and regulates .

My $.02

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 31st, 2010, 4:31 am

seems like so many of the talking heads in the Divisions that make decisions on season dates and bag limits have no real idea about things outside the building they occupy .

Oh you are so right.  Perhaps change "the building they occupy" to their cubical computer screen......
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 2nd, 2011, 3:53 pm

The system works fine the way it is, but it's time to change a few things. I think the 5 day season has out grown it's self and a 7 day season would be fine, but a 10 day season would be better. That and I wish they would open it up so your tag was good state wide, they can still use the zones for resistering a bird that way they can keep track of how many birds are being taken in an area, just like our deer tags are.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

MrCritterKiller

Postby MrCritterKiller » January 3rd, 2011, 3:56 pm

Count me in as a supporter for the late season turkey hunt! Very little deer activity in my small patch of local woods, but observing lots of turkeys (and taking one) made December a productive and fun month in the field.

As for the spring, hunting periods with two weekends would be nice ... something which would help when work/home/life interferes with hunting plans.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 4th, 2011, 9:42 am

I'm not sure if I follow what Scott said correctly. Is Wis. broken up into 5 day segments ? If that's the case , ,,,why? Is it set up that way for a safety reason , to limit how many go to the woods ?

Ohio has a 28 day season . Begins on a monday and ends on a sunday . No breaks . The last two weeks of season we now can hunt from 1/2 hour before sun up to sun set . First two weeks stop at noon. Two bird limit . Statewide .

I'm just curious .

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » January 4th, 2011, 11:38 am

id like to have a longer season because its hard for me to hunt the spring season because i have school during the week and work ont he weekends. so i take off if i can but i still dont get to hunt as much as i would like. so a longer season would be great. and i really enjoy the winter hunt, i hope that will stick around
Alex

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 4th, 2011, 11:56 am

Mark, WI is set up to hunt from Weds through Sun. a 5 day season. There are 6 seasons, and 7 zones to hunt in. When you draw a tag you can only hunt that zone for 5 days, then your done. After all of the tags are drawn in the first round, you can buy another tag for a zone with there are any left, but you can only buy one tag a day, and they are only good for 5 days, no hunting on Mon or Tues. It was set up that way from the start back in 1984, the short seasons were done so there wasn't a lot of preasure on the birds and it thinned out the number of hunters in the field at one time. There was only a few areas in the state that had a huntable population of birds, but now the birds cover the entire state. They use the zones to limit the number of permits in that area, and to see how many birds were taken in that zone, because you have to register your birds when you fill your tag. Like for me and Charlie, If I draw a tag in zone 3 for the 4th season and Charlie draws one in zone 3 for the 3rd season, we can't hunt together. [:@] It was fine back in "84 but it's time for a change.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » January 5th, 2011, 12:16 pm

oh boy. 1984 was a sure long time ago [;)]
Alex

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 6th, 2011, 2:38 pm

It takes too long to get simple changes in WI everything has to go through one committee or another.  The states spends time and money micro managing the hunters rather than managing the species.  This makes our DNR reactive rather than proactive. [:o]
Oh well I'll take what we can get hopefully in 2012 we get to hunt at least 7 days at a time.
later,
charlie

Next

Return to Wisconsin