St. Marys / Kingsland GA Area Question

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

St. Marys / Kingsland GA Area Question

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » February 20th, 2010, 4:03 am

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about the St. Marys/Kingsland Ga area. I am in the U.S. Coast Guard and might be getting stationed down there this Summer. Will I be able to find birds down in that area or will I have to travel some to find them? If anyone has any info on hunting down there it would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to give Hogs a try so if you have any info on that too I would be very thankful for the info.

Good Luck this Spring!
Mack
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

creek bottom

RE: St. Marys / Kingsland GA Area Question

Postby creek bottom » April 4th, 2010, 5:28 pm

Fort Stewart has a lot of hog, turkeys and deer and is fairly cheap .( about $60.00 dollars a year and has a lot of land.

moyehow

Postby moyehow » April 6th, 2010, 10:53 am

Hunting is good in and around Camden County. You should be able to join a hunting club with no problem. Let me know when you get down here and I will try to help you find a place to hunt.

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 8th, 2010, 11:13 am

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it very much. I will let you know when I get down that way moyehow.
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

swampstalker

Postby swampstalker » April 10th, 2010, 12:30 pm

I used to live in folkston, and worked on the Okefenokee refuge, so I'll share what I know about the area. The north end of the OkefenokeeNWR ( cowhouse Island) near waycross borders some state wma and state forest( Dixon Memorial state forest) land. Lots of birds, good hunting and not very crowded. Seems like most folks are in private clubs up that way. The only thing I'd caution you about is they had a big fire in 2007 and alot of the forest up there was clearcut to get rid of the dead trees so you may have to hunt smaller pockets of timber. Another WMA NW of waycross is called the king tract( It's a smaller area and can't stand a whole lot of pressure, but it's full of birds. I'm not sure where your at in NY but the land is flat as a pool table down there so it takes a bit of getting used to. I used to have my best luck around 10-11:00 hunting strut zones( usually small clearcuts or logging roads) Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Thanks for your service with the Coast Guard, as a vet myself I appreciate it.

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 11th, 2010, 12:00 pm

thanks to all of you for the information it is greatly appreciated. I will definately let you guys know how I make out next spring. I am really looking forward to hog hunting when I get down there as well. Never done that before but I hear its alot of fun.
-John Paul Jones

SpurHuntinHillbilly

Postby SpurHuntinHillbilly » December 15th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Otsdawa Ridge runner here! My new handle is spur huntin hillbilly. Went to get on my old account and forgot my password and old email!

Return to Georgia