Turkey hunting dogs

kygobbler

Turkey hunting dogs

Postby kygobbler » December 11th, 2010, 5:56 am

I was wondering if anyone knows what type of dog would be good for turkey hunting. I've tried to look online but there isn't very much info about them. I was wanting one that is medium in size so he can stay inside because I have a little girl that is going to want to play with him. I was also wondering if there is any info about how is the best way to train one. Hopefully some of ya have can point me in the right direction. Thanks

mark hay

RE: Turkey hunting dogs

Postby mark hay » December 11th, 2010, 12:20 pm

It's me again KY. Check out the American Wild Turkey Dog Association website .
 It is a sport , growing in popularity . If Ohio every raises the fall limit I will probably be getting a dog .

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 7th, 2011, 8:54 am

Since WI legalized turkey dogs statewide this year I have been doing a lot of research on dogs.  Jon Fries runs www.turkeydog.org This is the home of the association Mark mentioned in his post. Jon was instrumental in getting dogs in WI legal and really knows his stuff providing a very informative website.

Basically most any breed including a mutt that has an interest in turkeys can be trained into a turkey dog.
My son living in OH has a golden retriever mixed with collie, one ugly dog but she can hunt turkeys.  Last fall he took her out she flushed a flock of turkeys sat quietly  next to him while he called the birds back using a wingbone call I made for him and shot his first fall turkey. He calls her a Gollie and apparently she is a natural turkey hunter. 

Made my dog decision; I am picking up a Vizsla puppy on 2/2. 
The Vizsla is one of the oldest hunting breeds originally from Hungary.  Some contacts in KY use them for bird hunting and boar hunting.  According to what I have read and been told these dogs can be trained to hunt multiple game and do it when the master instructs them. So I am giving them a try for turkeys.  Hopefully he will be ready for this September turkey season.
Stay tune I am sure I will be posting pics and bragging about my turkey dog over in the WI section.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 7th, 2011, 10:52 am

Hey Charlie , best wishes to you and your new hunting pard . What part of Ohio is your son in ? We might be neighbors[8|].

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » January 7th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Ky, as already stated turkeydog.org is a good place to start.I have a 2yr old Brittany that I use for turkeys. I personnaly feel alot of breeds can make good turkeydogs but I think it helps a great deal if some type of bird dog is in there linage.Good luck with your choice.
canecreekcalls.com

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 7th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Thank you, gentlemen for the suggestions and the info. Hopefully I can find a pup in the next couple of months and see how next fall season turns out.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 8th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Thanks Mark
My son is the Merrifield area.  He hunts along the KY border to the SE.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Kentucky