need help with mother nature

kygobbler

need help with mother nature

Postby kygobbler » December 4th, 2010, 10:55 pm

maybe someone on here can help me out. this week its turkey shotgun season here in ky and ol' mother nature is doing her best to make it an even harder challenge to hunt. the highs are suppost to be 35 and the wind blowing at 15-20 mph. does anyone have any tips on the best way to hunt when the conditions are like this. i seem to never have any luck on windy days, so some pointers are greatly appreciated. thasnks

mark hay

RE: need help with mother nature

Postby mark hay » December 5th, 2010, 4:40 am

Morning , Kygobbler ,,,welcome too.

Them fall birds are tough enough without some lousy weather ,,,yet they are still out there and workable no matter what the conditions may be .

If I could go,,,oh how I wish I could ,,,I would focus on the areas where the wind has the least effectand a good supply of food . Downwind side timber . Benches on the side of ridges ,,,downwind side . Open fields with good windbreak and food . No matter what the terrain is like you can bet there will be food there .
 So , I guess you should consider the food supply ,,or what is actually attracting birds to any given area and then  weed out the places where the wind would LIKELY be an aggravation to the turkeys .

Nothing is a given ,,,,bet you've already figured that out . But more times than not ,,turkeys will try to get out of a stiff wind ,,or go to the places where the wind is lighter .

Any snow cover will be to your advantage for spotting the birds . And , they too will be able to spot you sooner . If you have binocs I recommend using them often in your movement . I can't say I use them all the time but do from time to time .  My good friend has a big wide holler on his place where the deer and turkeys like to feed . Timber is very open . One can see 3/4 the way across this hotspot with the naked eye . 2 weeks ago we were trying to locate the gobblers for Jon . I took my glasses mainly because I was not carrying a gun . We very slowly eased up the slope as we approached the big holler . Every two , slow steps I would stop and glass the area . I'm guilty of often thinking about being able to see the turkeys as they move about feeding . BAD HABIT ! This time I spotted a gobbler , but only with the big glasses . I tried to pick him out without the binocs , but it was useless . He wasn't moving , but rather standing on a log which had fallen across a big deep ditch , preening his feathers . We didn't get our move done in time to work on the bird/birds before they went to roost on another property . But we would never have known they were there without the binocs .

Best wishes in the woods . Keep at 'em and stay with us . Keep us updated on your outings .

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 6th, 2010, 9:07 am

Thanks, for the advice Mark. Where Im hunting is a about a 1000 acre farm for row crops, tobacco, and catte. So without saying there is no big woods just six places that are about 2 acres to about 5 acres in size. There are a few fence rows that have trees and there is a dried up creek that runs thru the farm that has plenty of trees and undergrowth around it. After surveying the fields with binoculars i figured for sure they have to be down there but unfortunately they're not . Thats one thing about turkeys that I love and hate about them they can drive you nutts. I just started hunting this farm this year because the turkeys just showed up a couple of years ago. I was wanting to wait untill a couple of more years before I hunted them, that way they wouldn't have any pressure on them and decide to stay. But my little honey hole got sold and the guy that bought the property doesn't believe in hunting. Well, hopefully I will get them figured out soon and post some pics on here. Thanks again Mark.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 6th, 2010, 10:55 am

Ky , it sounds like you have got a fine place to work on the birds . I wouldn't worry much about the PRESSURE . I hunt public land here in southern Ohio . 4250 acres of prime deer and turkey . This past week was our deer gun season and I can guarantee those old , and young turkeys were bumped alot . But they are always there come spring and fall seasons . 99% of my turkey hunting has been on this land and it is where I learned most of what I know about the bird . Sure , they are tough to work ,,,but I know because of that it has made me a better hunter . It is very satisfying when I tag one of those ''EDUCATED'' public land turkeys .

I may sound like some self-proclaimed expert , but I don't mean to . I don't know of an expert . Heck , I never pulled the trigger in '09, spring or fall .But I had some fine encounters and learned some more about dealing with turkeys .

It's a pleasure to chat with you ,,,good huntin' to ya feller .

What part of ''OL' Kaintuck '' are you from ?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 6th, 2010, 11:16 am

ORIGINAL: kygobbler

maybe someone on here can help me out. this week its turkey shotgun season here in ky and ol' mother nature is doing her best to make it an even harder challenge to hunt. the highs are suppost to be 35 and the wind blowing at 15-20 mph. does anyone have any tips on the best way to hunt when the conditions are like this. i seem to never have any luck on windy days, so some pointers are greatly appreciated. thasnks

Hey Bryan,

It sounds like conditions in Kentucky are very much like those in Southern Illinois. It's very windy and cold here today.

I think Mark said it very well. Turkeys seem to try to stay out of the wind as much as we do, at least that's been my experience. They also will move on us. They are opportunistic birds and I've read some studies that show just how much territory they'll cover over time. We had birds on our place all summer and just before the fall season and then...they left for parts unknown.

I grew up in central Kentucky and lived there for many years. There were no turkeys. I did not even know anyone who'd ever seen a wild turkey. I have a friend who owns a farm that adjoins our old place and it's literally covered up with those big birds! Things have really changed.

Staying after them is really the best advice that I can give. Just being out there is the most important thing. I'm sure you'll locate them.

All my best and please keep us up to date on your progress.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 8th, 2010, 1:43 am

I live in Logan County its just south of Bowling Green. Hey Clark, I know what you mean the first time I ever seen a turkey was while I was in college and went to Ballard Co. for a deer drive. I saw a bird flying above the trees and was like what the heck is that and buddy told me "ain't you ever seen turkey before". That was in 1992 and we had very few in the county. From what little I did learn in college that same year ky and either mo. or il wildlife agents were trading deer for turkeys and now they're everywhere. Thank ya for the advice and good luck.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 9th, 2010, 2:17 am

Well, I finally got a hen yesterday. For some reason she was by herself. She didn't seem injured because I had to follow all the way across the farm before I was able to get a shot on her, which took 3 hrs and made it personal. I give her one thing she was a tough bird after I shot her I walked up to her and she was laying on her back all spread out. I touched her with my gun to make sure she was dead because I have seen a wounded bird whoop a guys butt when he picked her up. But anyway, she took off running squeling like a pig and I chase after her. I throw my vest on her and grab her head then I cut her throat. I was like ok she's dead now so I pick her up and walk back to my gun and when i lay her down the little devil takes off again. Well, this time when I catch her again I made sure she was dead. After everything was said and done it was one of my favorite hunts but I've yet to find where her kin folk are staying. Hopefully, I will solve that problem today.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 9th, 2010, 10:26 am

Congrats Ky. Wouldn't that have made a fine video? Did you call to her any ? Been my experience when I find one alone they are generally quite talkative and very willing to come running.

[:D][:D][:D][:D]I'd like to have witnessed what you had to do [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Return to Kentucky