It's over till April

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Duke0002

RE: It's over till April

Postby Duke0002 » November 10th, 2010, 6:01 am

Nice job, Mark.  Still looking for my fall bird.  Taking the xbow with me from now on.  Chasing turkey yesterday when a doe came very close.

mcvitullo

Postby mcvitullo » November 17th, 2010, 1:22 pm

Congrats!!! I'm proud of any bird I shoot. Every fall I want a long beard but I can never pass up young of the year poults. Eveyone was giveing me a hard time of how small my jenny was this year, but I was as proud as if it were a long beard. Scattering them and calling them back in is the best! I can't wait until April!!!
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 17th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Thanks, fellow turkey hunters .

I just may get to go again ,,,as a tag along caller . Youth deer gun season is this weekend ,,,hunter orange required by everyone . That could be troublesome [:@].We'll see how it goes .

eggshell

Postby eggshell » November 18th, 2010, 8:19 am

mcvitullo -let em laugh all they want, when you sit down to eat that young bird you'll be doing the grinning. Those young birds just can not be beat for table fare.  I may just make it down to Ky for the December season after all, so I may get one more chance too.

Good luck Mark if you take someone this weekend. I was just getting the hankering myself and thinking about calling a guy I know has a tag and invite him for a hunt.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » November 19th, 2010, 10:08 am

I saw something new today. I took my main buddy turkey hunting today since he still had an open tag. We had to hunt about two hours to find birds and then he only had a few minutes to hang with them. So we put the dog on them and he busted them real good. One bird come flying right by us and Joe, being short on time, took her or it off the wing. It was a nice size bird and when he came carrying it back I said it looks like a nice hen. His reply was I think it's a gobbler.....I went ummm you should know a gobbler( this is not his first rodeo). He laid it down and said you tell me. It had buff breast feathers and a jet black back with bronze tail feathers, a skin covered head with full waddles and skull cap, and razor sharp spurs about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. It looked like a gobbler, but also like a hen. I'm guessing it was a hermaphrodite ( an animal exhibiting both male and female traits). I have never seen this in turkeys. So I guess you call it a gobblette.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 19th, 2010, 10:52 am

That's interesting ,,,,,,Did ya get a pic?

eggshell

Postby eggshell » November 19th, 2010, 12:21 pm

no mark I did not. I dropped him at his house and didn't have a camera. I thought about it when i made this post, then it was too late.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 19th, 2010, 1:26 pm

[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][:(][:(][:(][&:]

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » November 29th, 2010, 4:38 am

Mark it is a little bit late but congrats on your bird, love that gun also. Thinking about takeing my grandpas old single shot 16 guage out this weekend.

dewey

Postby dewey » November 29th, 2010, 5:59 am

Congratulations Mark and thanks for the story it is a nice read a great way to spend a Monday morning at work.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting