Off Season???

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
kenturkey89

Off Season???

Postby kenturkey89 » October 26th, 2010, 5:44 pm

Now that fall season is currently wrapping up for many areas, I'm curious to know what it is everyone else does during the so called "off season" from fall to spring.

Are you all tinkering with new calls and toys to try and find that go-to call that might draw in the big one next spring? or
Are you all looking for new guns and loads that might give you better pattern density and performance?

Just curious as to what you all do to keep from looking at the calendar every day to see when turkey season will be here!

Brian

shad309

RE: Off Season???

Postby shad309 » October 27th, 2010, 3:14 am

I continue to go out in the woods and scout. I'm out there all year long, rain, sleet, or snow (even 100 degree days) [:D]

Not only does it help to pattern turkey & deer but I get a better knowledge of the land. I've also found that animals become used to seeing/hearing you in the woods and start to feel as if you are less of a threat and not as wary. More so with deer than turkeys.... but it does work.

I watch a ton of videos, listen to recordings, and practice with my calls. You can see me with a call every day as I'm driving to & from work- practice, practice, practice!

That's my 2 pennies

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » October 27th, 2010, 6:19 am

I am getting ready for deer firearms season right now, and then might hunt some coyotes, always looking for new guns and equipment, calls etc... and always scouting...
Kill It And Grill It!!!
My house is protected by the good lord and my gun!!
If you try to enter without being wanted
you might just meet both!

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » October 27th, 2010, 6:03 pm

I too have been doing some bowhunting the last two weekends and I shot my first doe with a bow this past friday. I also plan on doing a little coyote hunting this year sometime after gun season, which will let me do a little turkey scouting in the process. During the winter I will be looking to by a new shotgun to turkey hunt with. I've hunted with a 20ga. for several years now and I'm looking for something to extend my range a little bit. Right now I'm looking at the Benellie SBEII and the M2 as all purpose guns, and the mossberg 535 strictly as a turkey gun because of the pump.

Brian

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 30th, 2010, 6:57 am

i love to go squirrel hunting in the off season that way i can do a little scouting while im out. Plus, any other little critter that is in season. kenturkey89 if your still looking for a new gun look at the winchester sx3 thats what i use for everything and wouldn't take anything for it. Its absolutly a great gun for 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" shells it has no problems with any of them. 

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » October 30th, 2010, 7:50 am

That's funny that you mention that, kygobbler, because I just got done reading a few reviews of the sx3 on cabelas. I really like the looks of the gun a whole lot. Does it do a good job as a turkey gun? Also, what part of ky are you from?

Brian

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » October 30th, 2010, 11:18 am

Ieat chicken wings and watch hockey and football
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

grizzly

Postby grizzly » October 31st, 2010, 3:06 am

turkey season doesn't close until nov 19 then there's deer season till the middle of dec after that i hunt small game and coyotes till the end of feb . [:D] wayne

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » October 31st, 2010, 3:32 am

Like Shad, I do lots of off-season calling practice.
I am also hitting the deer woods pretty hard right now (and learning new places to turkey hunt). I'm into the hockey season too.
I get vacation time from work around the holidays an am looking forward to that.
After deer season, it is time to get some work done at the lease while the snakes, ticks, 'skeeters, and chiggers are gone.
By February, it is time to do some serious scouting for turkeys.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 31st, 2010, 5:46 am

the sx3 is a great turkey gun that is the main reason why i bought. i had a benelli nova and got tired of it kicking my butt and making me flinch every time i pulled the trigger. ive had the sx3 for 2 or 3 years now and i hav missed only a handfull but due to me miss rangeing the shot. im in logan county. what parts are you from kenturk89 ?

Next

Return to Off Topic