Locator calls in fall

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
TurkeyJohn

Locator calls in fall

Postby TurkeyJohn » October 14th, 2010, 9:16 am

Hi Guys,

Wondering how effective locator calls are in the fall.  I know in the spring you'd owl hoot before dawn to see where the turks may be, but with the limited, up here none, gobbling in the fall.  Are they a worthwhile strategy to know where to set up??

eggshell

RE: Locator calls in fall

Postby eggshell » October 15th, 2010, 11:21 am

nope save your effort. In the fall just call. I often throw a few clucks first then run a few slow yelps and then a kee kee. Be very attentive as often all you get is a one cluck response. 

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 15th, 2010, 11:49 am

Scout, scout , and scout some more . You need to find their roosting areas . If your hunting Easterns they may not roost in the same tree , but many times they will be in the general area . I've pegged a small flock this fall that has been roosting in the same holler since August .
 Another trick is when your moving through the woods , espescially in dry leaves , is to be careful not to allow brush and bushes to rake your clothing making any noise foreign to the woods . Your footsteps in the dry fodder will get the attention of any nearby and unseen turkeys . Move a few yards and stop and listen . Like Eggshell said , listen carefully , they will call even though you didn't make a call . When you move and stop and hear nothing in a couple minutes then try your calls to strike up some turkey talk. Do lots of leaf scratching too. After each series of cold calling or leaf scratching , or just moving from one place to another in the woods ,,,focus quietly and listen intently . PATIENCE

fallhnt

Postby fallhnt » October 15th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Calling in the evening can make them give up there roosting location. I've have also walked in well before daylight and called real loud to get them to respond.I think they call back to shut you up becouse it's way to early to be up.This gives you plenty of time to move,set-up and let the woods quiet down.Walk and call during the day works well.Be in a good postion before calling becouse action can be fast.Good luck.

brantleynator

Postby brantleynator » October 16th, 2010, 5:15 pm

The only luck I've had is by getting out before sun up and doing some very soft clucks and a few tree yelps. If there a birds within earshot, it should produce some sort of audible response. Other than that, you may try a gobble or jake gobble. If you don't have a gobble tube, you can take a diapghram and put the tappered end between your top gum and upper lip. Lightly rest the reeds on the outside of your bottm lip. Cup your hands and blow like you are trying to do the feeding call of a mallard... "Tuga, Tuga, Tuga" etc. It will produce a descent gobble. Depending on the style of reeds and cut of the latex it will sound like a jake or tom.

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » October 18th, 2010, 9:18 am

Thanks guys,

Turns out, morning number 2 worked out well.  Was in before daybreak, heard some clucks not far from my position.  Did some clucking back, thought it was a hen.  Things got quiet, but 20 minutes later a group of bachelors jumps into the field I had my back to, 20 yards off.  Glad i stuck a decoy in the field, they watched her while I picked out the largest.  Ended up with an 18 lb tom with a 7 inch beard flopping and 4-5 of his buddies flying off to sort things out.  Raining, and field, lethal combination for turkeys.

Thanks again and good luck to all that still have a tag in their jeans.

fallhnt

Postby fallhnt » October 18th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Cograts TurkeyJohn.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 18th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Well done John, congrats on the tom.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 18th, 2010, 3:22 pm

Congrats. on the bird John.