Found the Roost..

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
remisgunner

Found the Roost..

Postby remisgunner » October 4th, 2010, 1:45 pm

...but they have yet to take the same route twice. Do turkeys move roosts? I have been in the turkeys this last weekend but I can't get the close enough or get them to come out of the thick brush. I was trying out my new ground blind and a couple of decoys but I think these were spooking the turkeys more than anything. So I went old school and say against the tree and waited along the "known" path to the roost, but they went a different route (behind me instead of in front of me). They are calling, mostly putts and clucks, they occasional yelp, but they certainly are not listening to me calling. I know fall is different than spring and so I am going with mostly ambush tactics at this point rather than trying to get them to come to me.

If anyone has any advice on what I should be doing or not be doing in this scenario please let me know, definitely not a pro here. Thanks in advance.

Jason

fallhnt

RE: Found the Roost..

Postby fallhnt » October 4th, 2010, 4:08 pm

I use decoys and lots of calling in the fall.I know what your saying but they are being turkeys.I would hang out in the blind if bowhunting but what your doing is a sound tactic.If your using gobbler decoys on hens you can expect that kind of treatment.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 4th, 2010, 6:25 pm

If your birds are hens with young, try running some lost kee kee's, that will get their attention. If your into jakes and toms run some deep raspy yelps and clucks and a bad sounding gobble, the worst it sounds the better.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

remisgunner

Postby remisgunner » October 5th, 2010, 1:30 am

Well I think I have two groups, where I originally thought there was only one. When I first saw the flock there were two Toms and three hens. Then the next day I saw three big toms, but no hens. So should I go after the toms using the tactic you described? I can certainly come up with a bad gobble! Thanks for the advice. I will give her a shot.

One more question, though. Should I use the same tactics both morning and evening? Or do I need to try one thing in the morning and another in the evening?

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 5th, 2010, 7:20 am

more than anything else be persistent. Your into birds, so your already got a big part of fall hunting whipped. Just keep talking to them and they may come on any given set up. Some days they want company some not. One thing I have found true for fall hunting, it is really really hard to turn birds away from the way they are headed. You can get them to veer a little to the side for a look, but they will rarely make a radical turn, they will answer and try to drag you along with them. You may have to bust them for your best chance. If you decide to bust them (especially old gobbler groups) do it at dark and return next daylight. If you can find where they are headed to feed then wait there for them. If food is everywhere, as it is here this year, with a big mast crop it get's real hard to pattern birds. In those cases get tight on the roost and be the first bird of the morning to call and call hard and aggressive, with long course yelps and maybe a gobble. That way you may persuade the dominate bird to fly down your way and the rest will follow.

remisgunner

Postby remisgunner » October 10th, 2010, 2:53 am

Well I think the turkeys have slipped out on me. The last two days I hunted for them I have not heard a sound or seen a feather. I am wondering if all of the pheasant hunters have pushed them out or if the Amish harvesting corn next door have pulled them over there for a while. I am not sure what I should do at this point; one more weekend before the end of fall season. I am hoping if I am unsuccessful in the fall I will at least know where to start in the spring.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 10th, 2010, 5:59 am

remi, they will move in the fall, it's time to wear down some boot soles and go looking for them.

Return to Fall Hunting