Roosted Birds

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
brantleynator

Roosted Birds

Postby brantleynator » October 1st, 2010, 7:34 am

I found a group of gobblers roost  site. I got out before sunrise to try and pattern them for th e upcoming fall season. They flew off the roost and started feeding in a field. They made their way to the woodline and I watched as they entered the woods. I made my way in that direction to look for places I could set up when it came time to hunt. The birds were in the woods and I could'nt see them, but they must have seen or heard me cause about three of them flew and I could see them fly a short distance and land. I did'nt spook em on the roost so my question is: do you think these birds will continue to roost there? I've heard turkeys have a short memory and won't recall that type of thing. As I said, I did not spook them on the roost but I was in close proximity to it. What do you guys think?

Duke0002

RE: Roosted Birds

Postby Duke0002 » October 1st, 2010, 8:19 am

I wouldn't think that you ruined the roost, as enough time had past.  It's not unusual for them to get spooked by predators, etc. during the course of a day.   They may choose to roost elsewhere, but it's probably not due to you being in the woods.    Give them enough space (from the roost) when you hunt them.

You're doing a good job patterning.   Good luck!

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » October 1st, 2010, 8:19 am

If you provide the gps coordinates for the roost sites, I will be happy to check it out myself to see if they were affected [:D][:D][:D]

Seriously, this will be my fist fall hunt so I have no opinion or experience with it.  You will get your answer here though.  Good luck, hope they don't remember you [:)]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 1st, 2010, 9:55 am

I agree with Duke . Doubtful any harm was done . Knowing that it is movement that spooks them above anything . But , I do disagree with the ''short memory'' of a turkey . I think their memory is right up there with there hearing and eyesight. I would avoid that ''particular spot'' you were in when they busted you .

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 1st, 2010, 2:25 pm

As long as you didn't bust them out of their trees and then go chasing after them and bust them again, you shouldn't have bothered the roost area any. As far as their memory goes, I'm on the fence about that. In the fall you want to bust them up and follow the least number of birds a short distance, set up and call them back together. It's easier to call a lone bird then it is to call 3-4, safety in numbers. Yet they seem to remember the sound of a call for a long time, if you call a bird in and you get busted you'll have a hard time getting that bird to respond to that call for a long time? That's why if you do any pre season calling don't use a call that you plan to use for hunting, they remember sound very very well.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

longbeard.386

Postby longbeard.386 » December 21st, 2010, 4:31 pm

Brantleynator,
A word of caution on busting them into a scatter and calling them back. This will work for hens (if hunting them is legal in your area) and on jakes, but old toms usually just don't "give a real damn" about getting back together. Since I can't hunt hens in the fall at my WMA, fall hunting is a jake hunt for me. I agree with the guys who answered about the roost. You didn't spook them off the roost so the roost shouldn't be haunted for them. If they don't roost there again for a while it's just they have moved a bit, not that you boogered the roost.
Regards,
Longbeard.386
"Remember, you're never too old to have a happy childhood."

Longbeard.386

Return to Strategies