Homemade slate call question???

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
kenturkey89

Homemade slate call question???

Postby kenturkey89 » September 13th, 2010, 2:40 am

I'm still pretty much a beginner in the turkey hunting woods as I've only been hunting for the last 4-5 years. Lately, I've got the crazy idea to try and make my own custom friction call, but I need a little bit of help before I begin.

First off, I wanted to know what's the best adhesive to use to set your slate into the call?

Second, I wanted to know what's the purpose of the soundboard. I know it's supposed to add to the quality of sound but does the slate need to be touching the soundboard or not?

And lastly, I keep referring to slate as my call surface but I'm not sure if that's what I want to go with. I've heard that copper is a pretty good surface to use but I've never seen a copper call let alone scratched on one. Is this a good surface for a call?

I also haven't decided on what wood to use yet. I've heard cocobolo is a good wood to use and it's a beautiful wood as well. Any advise would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Kawboy888

RE: Homemade slate call question???

Postby Kawboy888 » September 13th, 2010, 5:51 am

Plumbers goop is what we use for both the soundboard and the striking surface.

The sound board sets the pitch of the tone. If you want a high pitch, you move the soundboard closer to the striking surface. The soundboard performs a couple of functions. Other than effecting the pitch, it also vibrates and makes a difference in the break over of your yelp.

Copper is an ok striking surface. Most call makers say it's something really special because they are simply trying to sell their calls. For copper to be good, the call maker has to make several dozen calls from it and find the personality of the copper within his call design. Once you find that the copper can sound pretty good, but it wont be better than a well made slate, glass, crystal or aluminum call.

Wood choice - Start out with the cheapest wood you have. You're going to be learning so you will mess up your first few. No sense in wasting expensive wood. When you get a design that you like and you're ready to make some beauties, go with the cocobolo. Finish is with an oil as cocobolo is a very oily rosewood.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » September 13th, 2010, 6:35 am

Thanks Kawboy888. It makes sense to use some cheap wood the first few calls I make since I'm a newbie. But I have another question. Is it absolutely necessary to have a soundboard? If so what's the most common material used for a soundboard, glass?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 13th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Some wood pots sound better without a soundboard in them, and some you have to have one to make it play at all. You'll have to play around with the height of your playing surface to find where it sounds the best if you don't use one. Everything you do inside a call make a difference, the heigth of your soundboard pedestal, the thickness of it, the diameter of it, all changes the sound of your call. It's just like your wall thickness and your bottom thickness has to be right to make it play right, the size of holes and where they are makes a difference. TAKE NOTES on every change you make to the call and what it did, because after it's glued up and if it plays just right it to late to measure what you did. Ask any questions you have, we can save you some time and troubles, but a lot of it is still trail and error.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » September 14th, 2010, 4:05 am

I disagree with Scott that some calls sound better without a sound board.

Glass is the best sound board in my opinion, it gives a very crisp, sharp and loud tone.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » September 14th, 2010, 6:57 am

Thank you Rich and Scott both for sharing all this wonderful information with me, and the more info. you give me the more questions I have!!

I do have experience in turning wood and woodworking in general, but I've never made a pot and peg call. What would you two, or any one else, recommend as a kind of starter kit? I know Rich mentioned using a cheaper wood for the first few calls because I'm sure I'll run into a few problems with the first couple of pots I turn. Could you all give me a couple good ideas of what types of wood would be good to start out using.

The next question involves the surface. I know that different surfaces give different sounds and can be used in very different conditions. I'm just looking for something that is going to sound good and give me a quality turkey call. Any suggestions? I also plan on using a soundboard if that makes a difference in choosing a surface.

One last question regarding a striker, are there certain woods that play better on a specific surface?

Thanks for any and all advise!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 14th, 2010, 12:09 pm

I would suggest starting with woods that are less $$$ and easy to get, walnut, cherry, hard maple all play good with most any surface you put in it, and they also make good striker woods to learn with. As far as what woods play the best on what surfaces? You'll get about 200 choices with that question because it depends on how you tune your pots and how you make them, and how you play a call. That is all trail an error.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » September 14th, 2010, 2:19 pm

I second what Scott says when it comes to the wood for the pot. Whatever you have kicking around. I have gotten world class tone from hemlock, a species of pine. Hard woods are much more consistent but any wood will work.

I would recommend you start out with slate as a striking surface and glass as your soundboard. Slate is one of the most forgiving striking surfaces and it is by far the easiest to play and condition.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » September 14th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Thanks guys for all the help. I plan on making a few calls here whenever I get a little time. Whenever I'm finished I'll be sure to post them for you all to see. Thanks again!!!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 14th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Good luck to ya and remember to keep notes as you go [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Call Makers