Making a pot style friction call - Pedestal

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Kawboy888

Making a pot style friction call - Pedestal

Postby Kawboy888 » September 14th, 2010, 2:33 pm

This thread is for some pictures to help any of you with turning the pedestal inside your pot style friction call.
The first picture shows the pedestal.
The second picture shows the glass sound board on the pedestal.
The third picture shows a piece of slate sitting flush on the soundboard so that you can see how close to the striking surface the soundboard should be.

Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

kenturkey89

RE: Making a pot style friction call - Pedestal

Postby kenturkey89 » September 14th, 2010, 3:20 pm

Kawboy888, this is exactly the thing I've been looking for. I have a couple quick questions for you though. I can tell the inside portion of your pedestal is slightly shorter than the outside of the pedestal, what's the purpose for this? Also, is the soundboard not supposed to touch the sides of the pot? I can tell it looks about 1/4" from touching. And I must say your work on this pot is amazing!!!

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » September 14th, 2010, 4:30 pm

The inside of the pedestal is the same height as the outside of the pedestal. you are seeing a groove in the top of the pedestal that i cut to help the glue spread and hold.

The sound board should not touch the inside walls of the pot. I like mine to be an 1/8th inch away from the inside walls. So if your sound board is 3.25 inches, your striking surface is 3.5 inches.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 19th, 2010, 5:57 am

I try to stay about a 1/2" smaller with your soundboard than your playing surface. You want a 1/16 to 3/16 gap around your soundboard.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Call Makers