listening for birds

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Turkeybuster

RE: listening for birds

Postby Turkeybuster » September 12th, 2010, 7:33 am

Mark it sounds like youre overrun with birds looks like a good season coming up.
Jon
Turkeybuster

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 12th, 2010, 11:12 am

When I was young I was always looking forward to things like christmas , last day of school , squirrel season ,,,,,you know how it was. As I grew older most of it just lost its excitement . I can't say that about turkey hunting though . It finally hit me today just how much HOT! sign I have found in the last few weeks .
 I have every thing ready and waiting on the opener ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well , almost every thing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,I better wait till that day to make my lunch .

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » September 12th, 2010, 1:09 pm

OH YEAH don't pack the lunch yet!
Jon
Turkeybuster

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 12th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Sounds like you've located a few Mark. I'm gettin that itchy finger, down to 5 days and a wake up. [:D]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » September 13th, 2010, 3:47 am

I'm getting itchy fingers too, but not for the same reason LOL.  Our season opens October 9th, but shooting a bird is gonna be interesting to say the least. I plan on calling for others and maybe try to use a shooting stick left handed. Sometimes it just sucks to be me......

I'll be out there trying the best I can. At least our season last until Nov. 30th so I got time to heal into it.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » September 13th, 2010, 7:35 am

Good luck with that arm eggie they really have you immobilized with that cast.
Hope you can shuck that as soon as possible you might need to wrap that with camo tape for now.
Jon
Turkeybuster

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » September 13th, 2010, 12:19 pm

ES,  That's terrible!  Hope you can maneuver your trigger finger. 

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 13th, 2010, 1:15 pm

Da' gummit Dana ,,,,is there any cast material left in the state ? Good thing they ran out or you 'd have been wrapped up like a mummy .

Seriously , hope it heals fast . Seriously ,,,there anything I can do for you ? Just holler .

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 18th, 2010, 11:09 am

I was in one of my favorite areas again this morning . I could hear the turkeys in that same general area as the past few times I have been in there . They were at least 150 yards from me . Most likely roosting on the ridge along the dried up Little East Fork of Brush Creek .
 I slipped quietly along the two-track to a spot where the cedars open up into a 20 x 40 yard clearing . I backed into the brush a couple steps and hit the call a couple notes . They all went silent for a moment . I turned my face away from their location , and toward the ground , and switched to a different call for a few notes . They began to call back . GAME ON!! As thick and tall as those cedars are they'll be right on me before I can see them . I quickly judged them to be far enough away to allow me to move , so I switched back to the first call and cranked it up on the volume and excitement . HERE THEY COME ! I pushed the safety forward and held still till they were all in range and then went into action . The lead bird was yellin' like a durn fool so I picked him out and made the swing . BANG!
 He folded like Gobblerman in a hooskow poker game .

I like callin' crows too.[:D]

The two-track runs out of the cedars into some good hardwoods which border a cornfield on the hunting area . I made my way out to the corn and picked a stand under a good branch which somewhat hid me but allowed me to pick up any crows coming down along the woods edge . I hit the call , mimmicking the roughest sounding bird . They sent the scout over to have a look-see. He never says much ,,,,kinda sneaky you might say . After he was out of sight I hit the calls again . Here they come ,,'bout 10-12 of them.  I slid the safety as I mounted the double and fell in on the bird . Just winged him with the first barrel but folded him up with the other . All the rest downshifted without touchin' the clutch and scidattled. I just stood still for a few minutes . I retrieved my empties and stepped out of the cover . And there he goes . That da'gum scout never left the tree when the other crows came in , nor did he fly when I fired the two shots . Try and convince me they ain't smart . He was about 40 yards from me the whole time . Both shots went right over him and he never flew till he saw me move .

I have been picking on this MURDER for three weeks now . I ain't getting a lot of shots but I have killed a few crows .

Saw two hens and 5 half grown poults on my way out of the area . Also 3 big hens without poults .

eggshell

Postby eggshell » September 19th, 2010, 3:03 am

Mark,

You clever boy, setting us up like that. I been thinking of going scouting myself, but just can't get into it. I wonder, "why get all fired up when I can't do anything about it". However, the arm is being upgraded weekly and I'm starting to get optimistic about trying. I got the cast off last week and some fancy hardware put on...check this out. Man if I'd had this in the hooskow I'd of made some ppl pay attention in church...

As for folding crows like gobblerman in a poker game.....that ole buzzard never saw the day he was as sharp as a crow. Then when he lost all his cigs he'd start bustin chairs. Then he'd get put in the hole and then he'd ask to see me and be all repentant and nice, wanting out of the hole. I remember that one day he ole meat took all his cigs then acting all sorry gave him a few back with loads in them.....ROFLBO remembering the look on his face when the first one blew.  I never told meat who put the exlax in his cocoa puffs either; gobblerman owes me for that.

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting