Turkey Sightings

charlie elk

Turkey Sightings

Postby charlie elk » August 27th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Anyone else out looking over the birds?
Some mornings are bringing forth the gobbling.  That gets the blood a moving.
Seems to be more hens alone or with fewer poults this year and some of the poults are small very small. Must have renested late to have poults this late barely able to fly.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Turkey Sightings

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 28th, 2010, 7:18 am

It's been a tough year for seeing birds around here, but the ones I have seen vary in sizes. Some are small and some are about the size of the hens. I've seen a lot of hens without poults. [:@]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 30th, 2010, 8:11 am

The first 2 weeks of July we had heavy rains 35 inches for the month vast majority during early July.  This caused a lot flash flooding in the valleys.  I went out scouting to see the affects on wildlife and found lots of ground nesting birds dead floating at the dams by the valley's base.  Many of the dead were small turkeys.[:(]
My hope is those surviving hens re-nested and that accounts for the really small poults I'm seeing now.  The buggers can barely fly!
Speaking of bugs the mosquitoes are so thick you have to wear a headnet to avoid breathing them in. Out one morning without it I got so full there  was no sense to eating breakfast.
later,
charlie

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » August 30th, 2010, 1:20 pm

We had a great hatch this year!
Alot of our poults are close to the size of their mommas, and I have seen many, many brood flocks with large numbers of younguns'.
After last years terrible hatch, we needed a good one.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 2nd, 2010, 6:29 am

Yea I been hearing the hatch out East is incredible this year with mega flocks wandering around.  The NE is on my list of places to hunt.  One of my bucket list items is to hunt something in all 50 states, got 13 left to go mostly out East.  I am planning to spring hunt Maine in 2011 mainly because they have the very last turkey season in the country.  How cool to have the chance to shoot the very last turkey nationwide in the spring of 2011. [:)]

Everyone tells NH is really beautiful country to hunt too.  Enjoy your hunt.
later,
charlie

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » September 2nd, 2010, 10:26 am

ORIGINAL: charlie elk

Yea I been hearing the hatch out East is incredible this year with mega flocks wandering around.  The NE is on my list of places to hunt.  One of my bucket list items is to hunt something in all 50 states, got 13 left to go mostly out East.  I am planning to spring hunt Maine in 2011 mainly because they have the very last turkey season in the country.  How cool to have the chance to shoot the very last turkey nationwide in the spring of 2011. [:)]

Everyone tells NH is really beautiful country to hunt too.  Enjoy your hunt.
Thank you for the kind words, Charlie!
My son and I went scouting last weekend and saw 2 large flocks(20+ birds in each flock), and we saw 2 mature gobblers that if me and my son have anything to say about it, are down to their last 6 weeks of life!
Good luck to everyone on their fall hunts. I ate tag soup this spring, and did'nt care for it at all. I'm in hopes of a little October redemption!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 3rd, 2010, 11:36 am

May October redemption find its way to the end of yours & son's gun barrels nhtrkybstr.
later,
charlie

Return to Wisconsin