"Bad Bird" Articles

Comments and suggestions about T&TH are welcome here.
MAKEemQUIVER

"Bad Bird" Articles

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 28th, 2010, 11:17 am

I dont know about you guys but I love reading the Bad Bird segment in each magazine. It is the first thing that I flip to when I get a new magazine in the mail. I guess I like it so much b/c I can relate to it with some of my own bad birds.

Anyone else like it as much as me?

PALongspur

RE: "Bad Bird" Articles

Postby PALongspur » June 4th, 2010, 2:17 am

I would have to agree. Jim Spencer is one of my favorite outdoor writers.

The fact that he hunts public land almost exclusively is what gives me the most respect for him. He is hunting and killing gobblers like most of us do.

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » August 28th, 2010, 3:17 pm

ORIGINAL: PALongspur

Jim Spencer is one of my favorite outdoor writers.

For sure! I really enjoy his stories and the first section I always read as well.

John
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

Jim Spencer

Postby Jim Spencer » September 26th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Thanks for the nice words, folks. It might be of interest to you to know I just finished working on a book called "Bad Birds." It's a collection of the first 40 Bad Birds columns (starting in 2001) and also has three other stories with them, plus a bad bird-type piece by my old friend and fellow outdoor writer, Larry Dablemont. Lots of photos, including a fantastic cover shot by Tes Randle Jolly. Brian Lovett wrote the Foreword.

I think it's a pretty good book, and it's at the printer now with delivery scheduled for October 1.

You can order a copy (or copies, hint hint) online at my website, www.treblehookunlimited.com.

Those Bad Birds columns are the most enjoyable stuff I've ever written. I'm glad you enjoy them.

js

dewey

Postby dewey » December 15th, 2010, 6:21 am

I am a GIANT fan of the bad birds article in every T&TH magazine!!! Sneaky Pete, Johnson, the Gang of 40 (now 39) are my favorites. Heck I even got my wife to read them when we were in Mexico on the beach, by the way her favorite is Sneaky Pete.

Great job writing the articles Jim, you allow the rest of us to feel like we are right in the woods with you.

I will definitely be buying that book.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

longbeard.386

Postby longbeard.386 » December 22nd, 2010, 12:56 pm

In one of the replies to your post on Bad Birds was from Jim Spencer. He makes mention of his book...Bad Birds. Hey Jim, I read your book and it was great having all your works under a single title. Unfortunately, I recognized myself on far too many of the hunt scenarios. A lot of the areas you hunt have ridges and hollers while my WMAs here in Central Florida are about like a pool table. Still and all, you ability to put the written word to paper and making it entertaining is something I salute you for. Yes, I really like Jim Spencer's work and recommend his book. You can even ask him to ruin it with his autograph. Ha!
Longbeard.386
"Remember, you're never too old to have a happy childhood."

Longbeard.386

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » January 14th, 2011, 5:29 pm

I love the bad birds articles! Sometimes the hunting shows are not realistic. Birds come in perfect and are almost suicidal.
Keep em coming.

turk2di

Postby turk2di » January 16th, 2011, 11:22 am

ORIGINAL: Jim Spencer

Thanks for the nice words, folks. It might be of interest to you to know I just finished working on a book called "Bad Birds." It's a collection of the first 40 Bad Birds columns (starting in 2001) and also has three other stories with them, plus a bad bird-type piece by my old friend and fellow outdoor writer, Larry Dablemont. Lots of photos, including a fantastic cover shot by Tes Randle Jolly. Brian Lovett wrote the Foreword.

I think it's a pretty good book, and it's at the printer now with delivery scheduled for October 1.

You can order a copy (or copies, hint hint) online at my website, www.treblehookunlimited.com.

Those Bad Birds columns are the most enjoyable stuff I've ever written. I'm glad you enjoy them.

js

Im sure that will be a great read!

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » March 29th, 2011, 8:19 pm

"bad birds" is the first place i go when i get my new magazine, jim spencer has a way of making the mistakes and blunders of the hunter, and the cagey, survival instincts of our foe as entertaining as actually being there. can't tell you how many times i've said " that's happened to me " after reading an article. the reality is " bad birds " are what keep us going morning after morning, and taking the abuse dished out by our feathered opponent.....keep up the great stories

every gun makes its own tune.....

TRapper

Postby TRapper » April 3rd, 2011, 4:18 pm

Jim,  i have met you in person several times at the NTA conventions and talked mink trappin with ya as well,  I also love mink trappin and turkey hunting,  your bad bird articles are every bit as good as your mink trappin articles. 
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

Next

Return to Magazine Feedback