Conclusion: Duck or Dash?

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Conclusion: Duck or Dash?

Postby Brian Lovett » August 25th, 2010, 3:44 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

Conclusion: Duck or Dash

Stoltz made the decision for me. He eased out of the woodlot and started creeping south to the open part of the field. It was an aggressive move, but he was making it quickly and decisively. The birds were silent, so I figured we'd spooked them.

Soon, we reached the southeastern corner and "set up." Stoltz was leaning against a dead tree and a fencepost, while I sat cross-legged on the ground with my back against a brush pile. Comfortable or not, Stoltz raised his hand to his mouth and let out a soft string of yelps.

Ka-boom! The birds hammered in response. Fifteen minutes later, we doubled on the pair of 2-year-olds.

No doubt, Stoltz's choice had been ultra-aggressive, but it worked. Best, he made up his mind and executed his move swiftly. Had I been hunting solo, I might have gone the conservative route. I doubted my results would have matched his.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Get your 2010 rut predictions here!

Bobbyparks

RE: Conclusion: Duck or Dash?

Postby Bobbyparks » August 25th, 2010, 7:23 am

Congratulations on the birds.....You and Steve must live right.......If I tried that I'm sure I'd get busted so I would still hold to my answer as it sounds like you would.

I'd have to be sure of having cover or it would have to be my last crack at em before I'd get that agressive.

That said.....I'm a nobody and Mr Stoltz is a somebody that knows what he's doing.
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 25th, 2010, 4:52 pm

ORIGINAL: Bobbyparks

That said.....I'm a nobody and Mr Stoltz is a somebody that knows what he's doing.

I'm calling B.S. on that statement Bobby. Everybody is a somebody, especially if they have dusted as may turkeys as you have. You just haven't figured out a way to get someone else to pay you to go hunt all over the country. I'd be willing to bet that if you got the chance to hunt as much at as many quality locations as the professional hunters get to (and get paid to do it), you would probably have lots of others measuring themselves against you. No disrespect to Steve Stoltz, he has worked hard to become a great hunter & I enjoy watching him work. But turkey hunting is about you against the turkeys, not other people. Judging by the success you've had, I'd say you got it going on and the turkeys ought to fear you. Just sayin'

It is good to read that the aggressive tactic paid off with a double. That's tough to beat in anybody's book. You can't ever tell until you try about getting aggressive on turkeys. I've been busted when I thought there was no possible way I would. On the other hand, I've made too much noise on the way in and still had birds fly down from almost over my head like they had a death wish. Having it work out right is part of what keeps us coming back. You know what though? Getting busted when trying a bold move will also make you try harder next time.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » August 26th, 2010, 8:37 am

Man..... Jim

Thanks for that compliment...the quick head swell caused the rivets in my hat to explode when I read this.[:)]

Bobby
ACME PRO STAFF

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » August 26th, 2010, 1:04 pm

I will attest to the notion that Bobby's hunting skills are subpar.  It took him a whole hour to kill his first gobbler on hard-hunted public land here in New Mexico. ...And then another half hour the next morning to kill his second one.  The guy has got no ability whatsoever!  He should just give up turkey hunting altogether....he really stinks at it!  I think all those pictures he has of fans on his walls are from his wife Mary shooting the birds for him.    [;)]

As for the scenario, ....the end result justifies the "ways and means".  ...But it begs the questions, "Would it have been the best decision if Steve had indeed spooked those two-year-olds?  ....And would they have likely ended up just as dead by taking a more conservative approach that didn't include the risky move?"  We'll never know for sure.....   [:)]

Jim

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » August 30th, 2010, 3:38 am

Just so no one thinks I'm questioning or disrespecting in any way what happened here:

I believe most decisons we make on the fly are made based on past experiences, instinct, and hunches. Gifted hunters like Steve and Brian possess a beyond average ability to make the right calls.

As Brian mentioned once Steve made the call he didn't hestitate but made his move. He must have believed he could do it and he did.

I do think this could have had good results either way

PS: Jim is partially right about my photos. Some are Mary's and some I did a PhotoShoppe repetitive trick that allows you to add as many birds on the wall as you like. Works with deer heads too.....and on the first bird in NM it took an hour the first day because I had to eat my sandwich while I listened to him gobble and then once I was done I just walked over to him and blasted him....I forgot my sandwich the second day so it happened faster
ACME PRO STAFF

Return to Decision Time