Suggestions wanted- Blind purchase

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
mcvitullo

RE: Suggestions wanted- Blind purchase

Postby mcvitullo » July 28th, 2010, 10:02 am

I like the Amristep Outhouses and Dog Houses. Nothing wrong with a $49- $69 blind!
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » August 1st, 2010, 3:01 pm

Hey Shad I have an Ameristep my dad bought for my as a Christmas gift a few years ago and I like it.  Great for Turkey or Deer (gun hunting)! 

Weighs around 20 lbs so it isn't all that heavy.  If you threw up high enough it could fully deploy before it hits the ground.  Can be tricky to fold it back up since it wants to open back up but it is pretty easy to fold it up.

I recommend checking them out.

shad309

Postby shad309 » August 2nd, 2010, 11:22 am

I got lucky recently! One of my bud's had one given to him and he only deer hunts in tree stands so he gave it to me. I also picked up an Ameristep Jakehouse blind. It's a 2 man pop open stake out blind (no roof). It only weighs 2lbs and is pretty good.

I havent used either one lately because my son doesnt want to venture out in the heat or wake up and hike LOL
I'm sure they will both get plenty of use before long!!!

TreeTrunkNarcoleptic

Postby TreeTrunkNarcoleptic » October 13th, 2010, 4:13 am

ORIGINAL: mcvitullo

I like the Amristep Outhouses and Dog Houses. Nothing wrong with a $49- $69 blind!

I have one of those as well and I've been satisfied with it for a couple of years. I have the basic model and it has about a 5' 8" center height. That works for me. I have enough room for two people on swivel stools and just enough space to throw a small duffel with stuff I may pack in over in the corner. That works great for pre-dawn set-ups when you want a thermos of coffee or you just want to pack lunch or bottles of water in for a long day's set-up. Next year I may consider a satelite dish. [;)]

I've used mine to ride out rain for hours and you do have a distinct advantage after inclement weather when you were already set up on a field edge. I also like to use it for early morning hunts, then abandon it about late morning for some running and gunning. That gives you a chance to stretch your legs and you can always slip back into it before the afternoon gets there.

I have managed to break the fiberglass poles on a few occasions but that is likely to happen with any lightweight pop-up. However, finding new poles and repairing your old ones is pretty easy.
"You can't grill it 'till you kill it."

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » October 14th, 2010, 9:14 am

I am going to try a Ghostblind this year.  Pricey and there is an alternative call Stalker Shield that is less expensive but also more limited in application.
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

Big10Inch

Postby Big10Inch » February 17th, 2011, 12:47 pm

I bought an Ameristep Doghouse to use shelter on raindays and to cover my fidgity better half. The blind weighs about 12 pounds and packs into a packsack that comes with the purchase. I have not used the Doghouse during a hunt yet.

I did open the blind up in my computer room and watched a Youtube instructional video on how to fold it up. My advice, WATCH THE VIDEO. The teardown instructions supplied with the blind make no sense. Once you watch the video, teardown is simple. I have read accounts of people that packed the blind out of the bush while it was still open because they could not collapse the blind. Others have broken the internal wire supports.

I have attached a link to the video below (I think). The link does not appear to immediately open. You may have to copy/past in your browser line. Sorry, I'm not a tecky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4fXjrIc ... re=related

Peter

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 17th, 2011, 6:55 pm

I have an Ameristep Outhouse that I got a couple of years ago and have only used it for photography. It keeps the weather off easily and blocks wind well. The tiedowns and stakes are a breeze to set up too. It may be kind of tight with kids though.

One of these days I may use it for hunting. I usually use low brush blinds and find it difficult to change my ways.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

dewey

Postby dewey » February 18th, 2011, 2:53 am

Hey shad,

I got this blind and I have used it with my nephew the last two years. Plenty of room, collapseable, black interior, adjustable window zipper heights, comes in a bag that has shoulder straps and it only costs about $60.

Here is a link to Cabela's

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t104365080

Here is a picture.

Hope this helps.

Dewey

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

shad309

Postby shad309 » February 18th, 2011, 3:00 am

Thanks, I picked one up from WingSupply that was on clearance for $30 [;)]

retranger

Postby retranger » February 18th, 2011, 5:14 am

I have and used the dog house blind for about 3 years. It is easy to set up. (hang on tight when you open it up) Closing it up is a bit tricky till you get the nack of it. Last year I bought a Ameristep Brickhouse Blind. It is the hub style and a little bigger. Fan Club is right as the sides do stick out farther than the roof. I didn't get to use it much as someone else thought it was a good blind and put it somewhere else. I liked the set up and take down better than the dog house and it's not to heavy to carry. Check it out at cabelas,, http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t104365080
I plan on getting another one.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies