Decision Time: Point of No Return

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: Point of No Return

Postby Brian Lovett » July 21st, 2010, 4:24 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

Point of No Return

For once, I had a pleasant dilemma.

During a late-season hunt in southern Wisconsin, a turkey gobbled lustily and often at my calling from across a deep draw. Another bird had chimed in from the base of a small point about 200 yards away.

Figuring I couldn't kill them both, I had to choose. The bird across the draw was red hot, but he was also across that draw. Although I could cut some distance to him, the approach was fairly open. The other turkey wasn't nearly as hot and was 50 yards farther than the draw gobbler. However, he was on a long, steep point, where I could easily work him in -- provided he was in the mood. After all, he would likely walk in one direction -- toward me -- unless he inexplicably decided to drop off the steep tip or sides of the point.

It was mood against setup. The morning sun was getting hot, so I had to decide quickly.

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Get ready for a successful deer season! Click here!

Bobbyparks

RE: Decision Time: Point of No Return

Postby Bobbyparks » July 21st, 2010, 5:52 am

Tricky question Chief

If I thought I had a resonable chance at all of getting across the draw and thought I could get a set up close enough to pull him over, especially if the bird down on the point could'n see me cross, I'd push and I'd cross the draw with a plan of falling back and going after the other bird if this effort failed. You'd know right away if you were busted as soon as you crossed because he'd shut down on the gobbling or fire up more

If the chance was slim of making it across and I could move closer to the bird on the point, I'd move down with hopes he might fire up and come in since I moved and have in the back of my mind that me moving and calling might help move the hot bird across the draw.

If I had no luck with the bird on the point I'd hope that the bird across the draw would move away enough for me to cross and get on his side.
I guess another option is to hang tight and see if the "point" bird moves towards you and just keep up with the hot one and go for the "Hail Mary" draw crossing as a last resort.

I know you're not allowed multiple answers but it would be a judgement call made on the spot and alot would be determined by the hunch I had at the time.
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » July 21st, 2010, 10:33 am

A hot gobbler is usually one that is willing to play along, though it is tough to pass one up you could get to more easily. I'd be more inclined to try to use whatever cover I had to try that hot gobbler, or hope to get him to meet me half way. In my experience a lukewarm bird could turn off or play hard to get. One that seems ready to go is one that would probably get me chasing after him.

Bobby's right about having the hot bird either shut up if he saw you or keep talking if he didn't. Same for falling back to the other bird if you had to.

Thanks for posting these scenarios, they really make me think (and wish it was closer to turkey season).

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 21st, 2010, 3:36 pm

I would of probably moved closer to the point bird. If the hot bird was hot because of your calling it would entice him to cross over if he thought that hen was going to another bird. He would try and cut her off or see if he could intercept her before she got to the other bird?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » July 22nd, 2010, 3:28 am

I agree with Scott on this one.....

"I would of probably moved closer to the point bird. If the hot bird was hot because of your calling it would entice him to cross over if he thought that hen was going to another bird. He would try and cut her off or see if he could intercept her before she got to the other bird"

At any rate, proceeding carefully here is the key.  Two birds gobbling at your calling within a couple of hundred yards is not a good time for impatience.  I have not seen the conclusion yet, but my guess is that one of those two birds ended up taking a "snood dive" before it was over.   [:)]

Jim

TRapper

Postby TRapper » April 3rd, 2011, 4:40 pm

if a bird is red hot to me,  then likely i would have worked him and see if i could pull him in,  have had em leave the ground to fly to me when they get that way,  i had to belly crawl on one turkey and shoot him in the prone position as i got that red hot bird to come in across a ditch,  when the head showed up,  i made it disappear
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

Return to Decision Time