Poult Reports

charlie elk

RE: Poult Reports

Postby charlie elk » July 15th, 2010, 5:40 am

Sharp shinned trying to beat to the turkeys that is neat to see. Makes puttin up with all bugs this time of year worth it. Last fall there were poults only the size of small chickens running around apparently late, second or third hatching attempts.

The beginning of July brought 12 inches of rain with flash floods in many of the valleys. Every couple days since have produced 2 or more inches of rain leaving the ground saturated to point trees are collapsing on hillsides. Prior to all this rain poult sightings were common, I have not seen a poult except for dead ones apparently drowned. Lone hens are out and about. [:(]

Wonder if it is too late for them to renest? Or if they could interest any gobblers in helping out at this late date?
There were gobblers gobbling in July last year so far none this year.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

charlie elk

RE: Poult Reports

Postby charlie elk » July 22nd, 2010, 4:17 pm

Still getting lots of rain, the undergrowth is thicker than it has been in years the cornfields are dense and over my head.  The beans are above the turkeys all in all the turkeys are hard to spot without leg work.  Did find some dusting taking place in the beans.  Bugs are everywhere making for a high protein diet so the birds should be growing nicely.  Still seeing too many lone hens for comfort but the poults might be unseen in all the cover.
Anyone else getting out?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin