Fall Scouting

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
gooseberry

Fall Scouting

Postby gooseberry » June 28th, 2010, 12:49 pm

Do the turkeys we scout in the Spring and Summer appear in the same places in the Fall?

mark hay

RE: Fall Scouting

Postby mark hay » June 28th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Possibly so . They do stay on the move , going from food to food , favorite roost to another favorite roost ,,,,and 'round and 'round.
 It has been my observation that they be content on 85 acres for a week , then move out to another area , then return to the 85 in a few days or a week .
 My fall scouting begins while I'm hunting the spring season , throughout the summer ,,,and then gets a mite more intense during September when squirrel season opens . I've found , at least for myself , that I see way more game while I'm actually hunting , than just poking 'round the woods . The hunt forces me to be more alert , quiet , and stealthy.
 Noting in my ''TURKEY JOURNAL'' every detail of sightings and sign . Being able to remember to go back later and go through the journal is a big plus ,,,,which I fail to do too often .

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » June 29th, 2010, 5:57 am

ORIGINAL: gooseberry

Do the turkeys we scout in the Spring and Summer appear in the same places in the Fall?

In my experience, they may pass through those places in the fall but they do not stay there long because they are always in search of food during that period.  In the spring I can be on one property and have birds there and the next day they have moved, but not far and they return the following day.  In the fall, I may see birds in one location but not see them again for a week. Food dictates there movement in the fall.  Breeding dictates there movement in the spring.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

remisgunner

Postby remisgunner » June 29th, 2010, 11:30 am

This post raised a related question in my mind. Will different flocks occupy the same terrain but at different times during their movements from food plot to food plot? In my neck of the woods, I can count on seeing turkeys in three specific fields from spring to fall. Is this likely because they don't get hunted (to my knowledge) or maybe because the fields are crops or both?
Jason

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 7th, 2010, 7:47 am

first of all thanks good post......i guide fall hunts ....with dogs ....so i concentrate on the summer months to locate flocks.....poults and adults....this way i have a good ideia of the hatch for the year.....usally the birds dont travel to far if the foods good,, old timers say hunt N by their stomaches...Food is key ....water in dry areas like out west are crucial tyo a turkeys survival...some areas are good in both spring and fall, and some arent....the advantage i have is the dogs .....if i cover a 300 acre piece and i see no scratching or dropping or feathers....and the dogs dont hit anything ...i probably wont hunt there again ....tracks tell alot to ....good luck the fall
Break em at Night...Back at light

Return to Fall Hunting