Official Thread: My First Turkey

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
woodzman

RE: Official Thread: My First Turkey

Postby woodzman » June 28th, 2010, 3:31 am

I really enjoyed all the stories and pictures. I especially like to see the kids, with that big proud smile on their faces.
I have a photo of my first bird, but I don't have a scanner and if I did, I doubt if I could figure out how to get it from there to here. I aint to sharp when it comes to the pc. So, I'll just tell the story.

I'd hunted the year before without killing a bird, though I should have, but that's another story. I was out one morning a week or so into my second season and hadn't heard a bird gobble all morning. I moved to a hill that I'd heard turkeys on before and did a little calling every now and then. I'd been there for probably a half hour, when I heard a stick snap behind me. Next thing you know, I could see something black out of the corner of my eye, moving from behind me to my front. It turned out to be two jakes. They were cooperative and turned and walked in front of me at about twenty yards. I took the lead bird and have been hooked ever since. I felt like Davy Crocket and Dan Boone rolled into one as I carried that jake back home. The guy that ran the sport shop in town told me that it was even more impressive that I'd killed a bird that came in quiet like that. Another ego boost. My next time out was a real ego deflater, but thats another story too.[:D]

Bob

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » June 28th, 2010, 6:34 am

Good story, Bob,....thanks for telling it.  ...As for the picture posting, a simple way to post old pictures is to simply take a picture of your prints with a digital camera and then upload to your computer. 

Jim

woodzman

Postby woodzman » June 29th, 2010, 2:19 am

Thanks Gobblerman. I'll give that a try.

Bob

shad309

Postby shad309 » June 29th, 2010, 2:41 am

another thought on the scanning issue would be taking them to a walgreens, cvs, walmart or something like that. They typically have that service available and will put the digital images onto a cd for you.

If you lived nearby me, I would do it for you. I would hate for you to mail them and they get lost in the mail, that would suck!

woodzman

Postby woodzman » June 30th, 2010, 2:47 am

Thank you too Shad. That's something else I never would have thought of.

Bob

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » October 12th, 2010, 5:27 am

got my firs turkey yesterday as posted on another thread but here is another pic anyways[:D]

Kill It And Grill It!!!
My house is protected by the good lord and my gun!!
If you try to enter without being wanted
you might just meet both!

ghamlin10

Postby ghamlin10 » February 3rd, 2011, 10:21 pm

My 1st turkey was shot 1 week into the season last year and man did he put on a show, I put a decoy sort of in the middle of the greenfield i was at that day. I started calling using a Night&hale lonesome hen call my father in law let me borrow. About 2 hours later after making calls here and there i saw a hen walk out of the wooded area in front of me in the direction of the decoy, guess what was following her.............. the gobbler and he was strutting and putting on a show an x rated show that is. After watching him mate for 20 minuets i was shocked and amazed at the same time, once he was finished with the hen he turned toward the decoy but would not come within 60ft of the hen decoy. I was using super express shells so I knew I could get him if he were a little closer. Finally after an hour and a half he came a little closer, i knew i had to get my shot off while i still could, he raised his neck and boom!! it was over he didnt even flop, and now im hooked!

dewey

Postby dewey » February 4th, 2011, 3:28 am

Here are a couple of first turkeys. I have the stories under the MN state thread if anyone is interested. I am not sure who has the better picture Gobblerman or Bobby Parks.[:D]

#1 My first turkey from the spring of 2008.

#2 My 10 year old nephew's first turkey spring 2010.

#3 My friend Mark and Timm got their first turkeys, hens, last fall.

Enjoy

Dewey

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

harry35124

Postby harry35124 » March 25th, 2011, 9:32 am

my turkey

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » May 7th, 2011, 7:47 pm

my first turkey was taken when i was 12 in 2005. I took it the last day of the fall season. My dad and i saw a big group start flying up so we snuck up on them and at the risk of starting a wildfire on here with the "experts" on ethics, i will tell u that i shot it out of the tree.I will never shoot a gobbler out of the tree in the spring b/c id rather call them in and shoot them even if its legal, but in the fall, if its the last day and its a hen, let a rip.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!