Poult Reports

charlie elk

Poult Reports

Postby charlie elk » May 30th, 2010, 12:59 pm

Well it is never too early to start obsessing about the next season and what better way to keep some excitement going that to post when you start seeing the first poults and update throughout the summer.

I have not seen any poults yet.  Found 2 nests yesterday with 9 eggs each. One the nests had its eggs moving around a little so it will not be long before hatch. 

First nest I found was mid March, that one did not make it I am sure she re-nested.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

charlie elk

RE: Poult Reports

Postby charlie elk » June 1st, 2010, 4:42 pm

Saw a hen with 4 tiny poults this morning.
Anyone know--
Do the hens stay on the ground with their poults during the time they can't fly up with mom?
later,
charlie

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » June 2nd, 2010, 5:26 am

Yes. From Lovett E. Williams Jr.'s Wild Turkey Hunting & Management: "The new brood sleeps at night on the ground under the body, outstretched wings and partially spread tail feathers of the hen, usually concealed in vegetation or at the base of a tree."
Flightless period is typically about 14 days.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 3rd, 2010, 3:53 am

In the predator rich environment around here that is a long time to spend on the ground blinded by the dark.  These birds continue to please me with their ever increasing numbers. Sure hope it continues.
Thanks.
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 5th, 2010, 11:14 am

Saw a group of 3 large poults with a hen on 6/4.  To my surprise the poults looked about the size they would be at the end of August 3-4 pounds. About the 2nd week of March this year I had found a nest alongside a logging road.  The nest did not survive. These poults must have been born very early; sometime late March? 
Given favorable spring time conditions how common is a March hatch in a northern tier state like WI?
later,
charlie

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » June 5th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Hey Charlie: RE; Poult sightings. I have been in richland county only about 3 days since the end of 6th turkey season with zero poult sightings! In my home area of Waukesha county I keep seeing same flocks and mixed flocks of birds with no poults in tow! Last week noticed a couple of toms still strutting for attention! Deer are quite active though and fawns are everywhere. Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 6th, 2010, 1:57 pm

joeturkey keep you eyes skimmed poults should be showing up.  The ones arournd here are down in the low areas apparently feeding on insects. They can keep eating away too.[:D]
Found some nests along the edge of a cornfield this morning next to some  blowdowns.
Deer are everywhere and the fawn drop looks like it was very productive again this year. Got farmers calling me making sure I plan to deer & turkey hunt on their land this fall.
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 15th, 2010, 10:53 am

Last weekend
Saw a flock of 9 jakes; think that is a little unusual for jakes to be flocked this time of year?

In a field 3 lone hens accompanied by a strutter.  Suspect they lost their nests and are attempting to renest.
No poults.
Weather has been constant rain and cool highs 58-62.
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 28th, 2010, 9:42 am

Until we got 10 inches of rain Saturday the poult numbers being seen were strong.  I have not seen a poult since.   Lone hens are out in the bean fields; assuming they are bugging.  Good numbers of jakes in flocks of 4-8 birds.
Last Tuesday(6/22) & Sunday(6/25) saw a gobbler with about 12 inches of fletched arrow sticking out of his back just below his wings.  [>:]Assuming that arrow was shot during the season it has been in him over a month now, evidence of how tough gobblers are.  He has been walking around in a field along a busy county road - not good advertising for us hunters. [:(]
later,
charlie

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » July 13th, 2010, 9:24 am

well its mid july and believe it or not I just saw my 1st poults of the year! Very tiny and not ready to fly yet.While mama was keeping an eye on me a sharp-shinn hawk swooped down and almost got one! Guess I'm not the only one whose been waiting for them!

Next

Return to Wisconsin