fall calling

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
fallhnt

RE: fall calling

Postby fallhnt » June 24th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Motivation:Pecking order and food.Use both to your advantage.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 24th, 2010, 1:48 pm

fallhnt

Motivation:Pecking order and food.Use both to your advantage.

'at'd be my view 2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if ya can't make him come in ,at least make him mad . I see the pecking order as a weakness in most birds during the fall season . Might be a very ,very slight weakness , but a weakness all the same. As I have said before , turkeys in any locale KNOW the voices or calls of every resident bird . Sometimes the call of an intruder is what's needed to make the hackles stand up and make 'em come stomping in mad and spoilin' for a scrap.
 I'm longin' to hear that hollow cluck of an ol' gobbler.[:D]

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » June 26th, 2010, 1:07 am

I'm longin' to hear that hollow cluck of an ol' gobbler.[:D]
[/quote]

Mark, That is one of the most exciting sounds in the fall.  When you hear that, you know your in the game.
I have to wait only 133 more days for the first day of fall season in Penna.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 26th, 2010, 6:19 am

'bout 103 days here in Ohio[:@] I think we'll make it , though we sometimes feel as if it ain't gonna happen .

I been practicing that ''hollow cluck'' on my new trumpet,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm anxious to try it on a real bird ,,,,,,,,instead of Linda[:D]

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » June 26th, 2010, 6:51 am

ORIGINAL: mark hay

'bout 103 days here in Ohio[:@] I think we'll make it , though we sometimes feel as if it ain't gonna happen .

I been practicing that ''hollow cluck'' on my new trumpet,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm anxious to try it on a real bird ,,,,,,,,instead of Linda[:D]

Does Linda answer when you call? If she does your on to something with that new trumpet.  If she is burried in the computer then keep practicing until she comes into your room.[:D]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 26th, 2010, 10:13 am

Mostly she just ignores my calls . But then there are times when she comes in silent ,,,,wearin' one of her ''LOOKS'', like she could carve my liver.[:D]

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » June 27th, 2010, 1:55 pm

ORIGINAL: mark hay

Mostly she just ignores my calls . But then there are times when she comes in silent ,,,,wearin' one of her ''LOOKS'', like she could carve my liver.[:D]

That's when you got right.  I get the same here at times.  I try mostly to run my calls in the car to and from work as not have that look.  Anyway Mark, they are great ladies to put up with our toys and hobbies.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 27th, 2010, 2:00 pm

You correct sir .

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 19th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Da' Gummit ! I can go for several days without too much problem of anxiousness for the fall season . Then out of the blue I'll see something that reminds me of a specific hunt or time in the woods and the craving to be standing in big timber that's skirted by a thicket or a huge grove of cedars , waiting on sunup comes over me  . Ears straining for any slight sound of a gobbler on the limb . Having the call at the ready . Reminding myself of the how the hills lay , and where the gulleys are . Eyes scanning the tree tops as one hand grips the double and the other a call. Breathing through my mouth so I'm able to hear a little better .
 Will they be vocal ? Will I be able to ''Strike up some talk''?

We'll have to wait'n'see,,,,,,DA' GUMMIT!

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 21st, 2010, 7:32 am

ORIGINAL: FL Turkey Hunter

What kind of calling do you guys use during the fall and what kind of calls box, slate etc.     

Thanks,Parker
well sir to answer your question on the calls i use all those calls....as for the calling it depenend s on the age and gender of the birds ....my favorite call is a turpin style trumpet, but im going to try a tube call this fall,  Ron
Break em at Night...Back at light

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting