Artificial Blind Usage

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
shaman

RE: Artificial Blind Usage

Postby shaman » June 21st, 2010, 1:59 am

ORIGINAL: Turkeybuster

Shaman
Ya forgot to tell the guys you sell hot dogs, ribs and homemade soup out of that stand from 11:00 am. till 1:00 pm.
Jon

I've seriously thought about adding several amenities out there.  I had figured on a Coleman stove up on cinder blocks.  However, I suppose I could also put a Weber Kettle beside the blind.  I have a big cache of hickory logs at the other end of the field.  It wouldn't be too much trouble to get a few splits going early before first light, put some ribs on and let the kettle do its thing until noon.  There's only a thin wisp of smoke coming out and turkeys can't smell.  Hmmmmm.  You may be onto something.

I'm eventually going to hang a little work desk out there so I can use my laptop.  I can use a trolling motor battery to run it all day.  Harbor Freight has a nice solar package for keeping a charge on it that I can mount on the roof.

Midway is only about 250 yards from the outhouse at our campground, so I got that covered. However, I am planning to put a hose through the floor and stick a funnel on it for paying the rent on the coffee.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 21st, 2010, 5:48 am

You have a winner there I need to get the application for the Ky. license for spring.
Don't want to miss out on the Grand Opening be sure to have plenty of ribs on hand.
Jon
Turkeybuster

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » June 23rd, 2010, 4:27 am

>I am planning to put a hose through the floor and stick a funnel on it for paying the rent on the coffee.<

Shaman-

An old bleach bottle makes an excellent urinal...just cut the bottom off at an angle and nail to the wall. An old length of hose will thread right onto the mouth of the bottle.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

JPH

Postby JPH » June 23rd, 2010, 6:06 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

>I am planning to put a hose through the floor and stick a funnel on it for paying the rent on the coffee.<

Shaman-

An old bleach bottle makes an excellent urinal...just cut the bottom off at an angle and nail to the wall. An old length of hose will thread right onto the mouth of the bottle.

Finding a place to pee, out in the natural surroundings, is a required turkey hunting skill! Heck, I pee in multi-flower rose just to make my point! That's how turkey hunting was intended to be! If you don't have urine dribbling down your pant leg, or skeeter bites on your privates you're not getting the full experience! I guess I'm just a better hunter than you guys.

...sorry. I've been staying out of this thread like it was a biohazard zone but I couldn't resist.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » June 23rd, 2010, 6:24 am

"I guess I'm just a better hunter than you guys."---JPH

No way, Dude!!  I see your skeeter bites (errr,...that didn't come out right!)...and raise you some tick "attachments" on my "unmentionables"! 
Not only that, but when you get to be as old as some of us, you don't have to be out huntin' to have that "dribbling" thing goin' on! ....Just comes with the territory!  [:)]
(....and don't worry none about them "biohazard zones!...we dun cleaned 'em all up 'round here!)   [;)]

Jim  [:D]

heinzc

Postby heinzc » June 23rd, 2010, 7:55 am

I don't want to beat a dead horse here but I need to add my two cents.  I started strictly bow hunting turkey three years ago for no other reason than I love my bow (even more than the old lady).  I also made the choice to go about it by using natural cover.  After two years of having tags in pockets this year I decided to drag a pop up along with a strict rule in my mind that it was only to be used in instances where there was no cover available.  I am happy to say that it did allow me to lose a bunch of weight this spring, but it also gave me the opportunity to knock the feathers off the back of a jake at 15 yards which I thought he was at 10.  I am with both sides on this and I think that we have all made it clear that you have to go with what your confident in to get the job done.  My question would be for our Wisconsin friends is there more hunters picking up the bow?  I also want to encourage us all to pull together and work with each other it is known throughout history that anti-hunting, tree hugging regulations come about by hunters and fishermen imploding from within then the anti's step in and work their magic to get their agendas passed.  I couldn't live with myself if that happended by something I did by not working with my brothers even if I don't always agree with their legal tactics.
Prov. 3:5,6

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » June 24th, 2010, 7:19 am

Hey heinzc; joeturkey from wisconsin here. Yes I do believe more and more hunters here are chasing the big birds with archery equipment. A coworker of mine (longbowhunter) is archery only all the time! Me personally have harvested only 1 turkey, a fall season (hen) shot with my matthews bow while deer hunting from a treestand. While I am very tempted to try to fill a second spring tag with bow, I can't stop putting the red dot on the fatboys head and reach out and smackem!! What can I say, I love to shoot my gun!!! Your comments about methods are right on. All hunting brothers must stick together! As Uncle Ted says whackem and stackem and then thank the Lord and our Founding Fathers for the right to do so!!!! Good luck and good hunting     joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

Previous

Return to Strategies