Artificial Blind Usage

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Fan Club

RE: Artificial Blind Usage

Postby Fan Club » June 12th, 2010, 5:31 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

It occurred to me as I was pondering this yesterday that your hunting situation dictates a lot of this.  For instance, if you are the kind of turkey hunter that ranges over vast areas of public land the idea of a pop-up must seem like the stupidest thing on Earth.   I can't imagine trying to schlep mine over the stuff I used to try and cover when I hunted places like the Big South Fork and Dan'l Boone NF.  Yikes.  I can also imagine coming on some snerd 100 yards from the road set up in one of those goofy things-- I'd have laughed my ass off.

And we have a winner! The same truism always surfaces in the traditional "Run and Gun" vs "Call and Wait" threads that we frequently see. Your hunting style is (and usually should be) dictated by size and type of property you hunt. R&G on a huge piece of public land is probably the way to go. In southern Michigan the land has been divided into small 10 and 20 acre parcels...you just can't afford to march all over your hunting land, upsetting squirells, spooking deer, bumping birds and setting off the woods wide alarm system. Putting your butt in one spot is the secret to hunting deer or turkeys in these small areas and pop ups help facilitate that. As Shaman mentioned, it doesn't matter whether it's a brush blind or your back against a tree...but sit you must in these areas to be successful on a consistent basis.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

shaman

Postby shaman » June 12th, 2010, 2:45 pm

Usually, if I'm in what you'd call a Run 'n Gun kinda mood, I come out around 10.  I grab a cup of coffee, and a little second breakfast and head back out.  I'll hunt the next spot until it feels right to come in.  That may be 2. It may be 4.  The point is that on even 200 acres, the idea of R&G is kinda pointless.  I may be out until sundown if the conditions are right, but I probably will have moved only 3 times in that whole period. 

Why?  Don't fool yourself.  You're right.  The turkeys  are not in the mood today.  You can try once, 
twice, three times (maybe) in a day, but if they're not in the mood, they're not in the mood.  A guy like me can write it off and go back to the cabin.  If you're limited to 2 days a year, you gotta push it.   I know. 

On the other hand, if I come in early and head out to the feed store or the grocery and see turkeys out doin' the luvthang out in the field. . . well, you better not be in front of me on the way home.   That's my R&G.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 15th, 2010, 10:36 am

Congratulations Shaman you have the fanciest shootin shack I have ever seen.   Perhaps when I get around to building those on my land they will be modeled after yours.  I like watch, feel and participate in the spiritual side of the hunt.

BTW guys I for one have enjoyed reading all these posts and not once did I see anyone referring to blinds being unethical.  Some hunters didn't want to use them at all or only on a limited basis as conditions dictated; its all good.
The thing I don't understand is all the coded talk about something in the past?  (flashbacks, history lessons, and bad subject it divides, etc.) As a guy relatively new here it is like some kind secret society code. To a new guy who might not post his thoughts just right it seems like you all want to drive him away.[:(]
If that is the case I must apologize in advance.  charlie elk is here to stay. Sorry. [:D]
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » June 16th, 2010, 8:00 am

Just to follow up on Mr Charlie's last post:

I don't know that I've read every word of all the post here but this how I view almost every aspect to turkey hunting and forum responses..

Whether you use blinds, decoys, run & gun, creep & crawl, sit & wait, sqealin hens, shoot jakes or gobblers, shoot birds at 25 yards or 50, and whether you agree with any of these are not, at least to an extent, you really should respect other's approaches as well as understand that we all have varying ways we enjoy chasing turkeys. It's rare that anyone is really right or wrong on this kind of stuff.

Some of us are lucky enough to hunt in better places than others, have more time to hunt than others, and may have more or less experience than others. Some may be gifted and some may have to work harder.

In my opinion no one should ever be ashamed or ridiculed about how they killed a turkey as long as it is legal, ethical, and they did it responsibly with respect for the bird.

Discussions and debates are great and help make us all think about other aspects that may or may not change our thoughts or modify how we hunt,

I'm not at all saying anyone here or on this post has gotten away from that but I have seen it in other places where it' gets insulting, disrespectul and unnessasrily personal.

The truth is in my opinion this is often a result of not taking the time to think about how others will view your post or unfortunately unconsious and unintentional disrespect.

I learned early on that you really have to think about how you put words and how your post may read and how easily you can be understood and offend someone

This forum is actually one of the best in regards to being positive and having great members. I see alot of new folks here that were not here months ago. It's getting bigger and better here.

Sorry for the babble
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

eggshell

Postby eggshell » June 16th, 2010, 10:20 am

Well now geesh Bobby you had to go and say something so reasonable and well thought out that I can't even pick at you, all I can do is say well done.

I for one, agree we live and let live. Our views are valuable in that we care and a greater consciousness is often the result of brisk discussion and debate. May we all be aware enough and humble enough to not let emotions turn to anger. I came on last year at a time that one of my first post was to "lay the law down". I am glad I stuck around, this forum has added to my life as person and hunter. In all of life's challenges Turkey hunting should be a release and  time away from the burdens of life. Contrary to what we have convinced ourselves of, the world would not end if turkey hunting ceased today. What is right and what is wrong is not measured by the Mind set "I think this or that". It is usually the consensus of the sane and civil majority who generally act in the best interest of all. Anything that does not threaten the whole is usually a preference and not an absolute. So I say hunt as you have fun, but hunt legal, safe and as Bobby said, "respect the bird". I may add that the statement of "what is good for the whole" includes the turkeys.

This is indeed a fine group of friends. I know we get a little weird and crazy, but hey it's all in fun.

God Bless

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 16th, 2010, 11:52 am

Shaman
Ya forgot to tell the guys you sell hot dogs, ribs and homemade soup out of that stand from 11:00 am. till 1:00 pm.
Jon
Turkeybuster

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » June 16th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Very well put, my friends!  Well said.  This is indeed a fine group of folks and I am honored to be a part of the group.

...Now, Reverend E....I know who that "weird and crazy" wisecrack was directed at....and Ms. Linda's not gonna be a happy camper when she sees that!
....And Shaman,.... me and Turkeybuster will be by for those ribs around noon tomorrow....
...And,....don't none a' you boys be tellin' Charlie what the "Secret Society Code" is!  (That's top secret, ya' know)   [:D][;)]

Mr. Gobblerman, Sir       Image

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » June 18th, 2010, 3:05 pm

ORIGINAL: eggshell

Well now geesh Bobby you had to go and say something so reasonable and well thought out that I can't even pick at you, all I can do is say well done.

God Bless

Now don't go gettin all soft on me. I have kind of grown fond of the abuse that you and that guy down in New Mexico throw my way.

I developed a condition of twitching and flinching and sometimes I swat at things that aren't there. Its the only excerise I get and the doctor says its a result of hanging around you guys. 

Seriously ...thanks Dana
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 19th, 2010, 1:17 am

I been doin' that twi,,twi,,twitchin' an' swattin' thing for sss,,,,sss,,,,some time myself B,,B,,BOBBY.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 20th, 2010, 8:12 am

And,....don't none a' you boys be tellin' Charlie what the "Secret Society Code" is! (That's top secret, ya' know)

[:D][:D][:)][:)][:)][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies