Countdown to Fall Turkey

rsmithpa

Countdown to Fall Turkey

Postby rsmithpa » June 1st, 2010, 9:32 am

Countdown.... only 133 days until fall turkey season as of 6/26/10!
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Turkeybuster

RE: Countdown to Fall Turkey

Postby Turkeybuster » June 1st, 2010, 5:39 pm

I cant wait Bob even though I dont care for the split season. That is a kick in the pants to the NWTF after they dumped millions of dollars into the Pa. turkey program.
Jon [:@]
Turkeybuster

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » June 2nd, 2010, 2:12 am

Jon, I will send you the PANWTF position on this tonight when I get home.  My opinion,  The game commission has lost money on how they screwed up the deer population, they now are looking for more ways to generate revenue.  They are going to to have all day hunting next spring in the second half of the season.  What ever happened to you can't hunt in the afternoon because we would be disturbing nests?  They are cutting short the fall season to get more license sales for bear tags.  ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND NOT CONSERVATION ANYMORE.  THEY WILL MESS UP THE TURKEY POPULATION, JUST LIKE THE DEER ALL IN THE NAME OF MONEY.  THE COLOR OF THE WORLD IS GREEN.

OK, got that off my chest, sorry about that!

Bob

MAK

Postby MAK » June 2nd, 2010, 5:15 am

Slow down, dang it, I ain't caught up from Spring yet!!! - but as I put the last items away last night, I did mentally think OK I'm ready for fall season.

What was their 'offical' reason for splitting up the Fall season?

I've hunted other states with all day hunting, it's a nice option when you're a traveling hunter, from the individuals prespective.

Looking at the local weather this year, can't think I'd have stayed out for the day, or gone back out in the evening when it was 80+, but guess I'll make that decision next spring.   
MAK

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » June 2nd, 2010, 6:53 am

The split in the season occurs in the spring.  The first two weeks regular hours, the second two weeks all day spring hunting.  Fall hunting stays the same but is cut short in some areas to allow bear hunters to start early. 

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 2nd, 2010, 8:50 am

The fall season comes in a week late Nov. 6 th. you can hunt until the 19 th. Bear season starts Sat. the 20 th. and we cant hunt turkeys until the 25 26 27 th. this is not fair to the turkey hunters we are being crowded out by the bow and bear hunters.
There is no need for archery to run into Turkey season as there is no good explination for bear season to start on Sat. Their explination is nobody hunts turkeys in the fall anymore. I wonder what their explination is for bringing the season in a week late other than the archery hunters want the woods to their self! All of this sucks and if they dont want turkey season in Pa. why did they accept millions of dollars from the NWTF.
You ARE 100% right Bob they are trying to screw up the turkey hunting in Pa. like they did with the Deer hunting. This move destroyed a three year turkey survey being conducted by their turkey biologists. This info. came from their own people in charge of this program and they pushed their input aside.
Jon
Turkeybuster

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » June 2nd, 2010, 12:00 pm

Ohio did the same thing this spring, first half was half a day and the second half was whole day. Being from WV we now have two states bordering us that has all day hunting the second half of the season. I wonder if the WV DNR will be considering adopting that policy here?

MAK

Postby MAK » June 3rd, 2010, 6:37 am

From PA Gammission site I condensed to WMUs I have permission to hunt -Fall turkey season WMUs 4A, 4B and 4D - Nov. 13-19 and Nov. 25-27.

Too many guys don't read the booklet and will just hunt the way they "always have" - looks like i'll either branch out, or shoot some squirrels to pass the time. 

MAK

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 3rd, 2010, 11:28 am

Yep it's sad but I bet if we had a $15.00 turkey tag we could get a six week season state wide.
Jon
Turkeybuster

MAK

Postby MAK » June 4th, 2010, 2:23 am

I'm not against a tag, but IMO outlaws don't use a tag, don't care about what's in season and what's not. They just hunt when it suits them.

I buy the 2nd spring tag and since it's inception this is the first year I had a reasonable chance to use it (and didn't, but that's another story). I considered it a small contribution to an underfunded agency. 

MAK

Next

Return to Pennsylvania