Fall the best season

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
ol gobbler

Fall the best season

Postby ol gobbler » November 17th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Sept. and Oct. were turkeyless for me but Nov. has been great. Shot a super jake 11/1.Had a 8 in. beard 20 lbs. First bird I have seen fly with my arrow in him but easy recovery.Only had 4 min. on my camcorder batt. so no video.Super jake #2 went down 11/15. The brother to the fist one,flew across a creek to my gobbler yelps, only to get arrowed at 14 yrds.I guess he thought my stuffer jake was his buddy.This time I got the action on video. 8 in. beard 19 lbs. These two were running with four other longbeards on public land in Ill.

Stringbender

RE: Fall the best season

Postby Stringbender » March 27th, 2010, 10:00 pm

I  like  to  hunt  turkey  in  the  fall.  Try  to  slip  in  close  and  take  one  out  a  flock  is  flat  out  fun  if  you  pull  it  off.  I  killed  my  first  turkey  in  the  fall  of  2004.  Needless  to  say  it  changed  my  life  for  ever. 
Here  in  KY.  The  Fish  and  Wildlife  Dept.  encourage  hunters  to  take  hens  in  the  fall  to  keep  the  turkey  population  in  check,  just  as  you  would  deer.
If your lookin' for the good life.
You have to HUNT for it.

Don Stanley
Beaver Dam, KY

paturkeyhunter29

Postby paturkeyhunter29 » April 9th, 2010, 9:01 am

I like the fall turkey season because there is so many different ways to hunt them. You can bust the flock up and call em back in, use dogs to
hunt them, stalk and pick one off or sit and wait for them to come to a usual feeding spot. I got a big hen this fall on the opening morning, 16lbs
bird. I sat and waited and clucked a few times every so often and got a good shot with the .204 at 40 yards away.
Love to hear the turkeys talk!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 26th, 2010, 1:18 pm

I like turkey hunting ,,,PERIOD . But , if I could only hunt one or the other ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It would be fall .

I get a charge out of tryin' to find that gang of gobblers . Last fall I spent the first 3 weeks (if I remember correctly) to locate the elusive snood swingers . Never filled my tag , but that ain't important to me most of the time ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I HAD A BLAST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still learnin'.

It's great to experience the fall woods , deep in the hunting area where no one has been tromping around since spring . To sneak in as close as you dare to a known roost sight and be the first to gobble . And have the whole gang take up Yakkin' with you .
 To hear those old longbeards rakin' leaves and emmitting their feeding purrs , interrupted occasionally by my gobbler clucks ,yelps and gobbles .
 Sure , they can be tough , unsociable and flatout rude . But ,I keep tryin' to figure them out and learn what they like and dislike .
  Pulled 7 off the roost one time . OH I screwed it up by being impatient , but to watch those seven birds , 2 of which where dragging their beards , as they were lined out and heading for my previous calling set up . All the while a single gobbler in the opposite direction was returning yelps to me .
 There ain't nothing boring about fall turkey hunting .
 In Ohio , 7 weeks of pure ,unadulterated pleasure .[:D][:D]

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » April 29th, 2010, 6:14 am

i love both seasons....but im really fond of fall hunting with my dogs
Break em at Night...Back at light

Crappiepro

Postby Crappiepro » May 27th, 2010, 1:15 pm

How do you hunt them? Will they roost in the same spots as the spring? Ive hunted them before but I was not knowing what I was doin. I dont hunt turkeys in my deer woods, I have several places to hunt. Indiana's season comes in on the same day as early archery(deer) and if its as warm this fall as it has been in the past I will be hunting turkeys instead of deer!

fallhnt

Postby fallhnt » May 28th, 2010, 3:01 am

I bowhunt them,so I scout,use decoys,call a lot,set up close to the roost and call them in. The flock make-up will dictate your calling.Open fields and picked crop fields are good too.I don't find them in spring areas that much.Food rules the fall and the birds will travel.Dog handlers and gun hunters will have more to add,as there are so many hunting options in fall.This is just my style and thats why, Fall is the best season.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 30th, 2010, 8:05 am

ORIGINAL: Crappiepro

How do you hunt them? Will they roost in the same spots as the spring? Ive hunted them before but I was not knowing what I was doin. I dont hunt turkeys in my deer woods, I have several places to hunt. Indiana's season comes in on the same day as early archery(deer) and if its as warm this fall as it has been in the past I will be hunting turkeys instead of deer!

It can be a lot like spring , with some days as quiet as a midnight funeral home . But generally they are vocal on the early morning roost and right after flydown .
 Scouting pays off , as with any species .
 The deeper into fall , when the mast is on the ground , they'll be where the food is throughout the day .
 They'll be in segragated flocks early and will work toward bigger mixed flocks into winter .  Hens and poults . Last years jakes . Hens without poults . Mature gobblers . And any mixture is not uncommon . You might even see a strutter .
 Some hunters will attempt to scatter the flock once they have manuvered as close as possible . Running right toward the flock yelling and shooting their gun , with light loads , into the air . The best scatter will send birds in all directions .
 Some use dogs for the scatter ,,,,,saves a lot of footwork and having old men running men running with loaded guns. Dogs ,,that is GOOD DOGS ,,will scatter better than a running man .
 Some fellers seek out roost sites to wait out the birds . Once it gets dark, or very near dark on an overcast evening , they'll bump the flock from the roost . Too much light or a clear sunset and all the birds will go the same direction . Be back to that same spot in the morning and begin calling them back .
 Some fellers just wait on them like deer hunting to ambush one . By knowing their travel routes or favorite oak mast restaraunt[:D].
 I like fooling with them all in the fall . They can put on some amazing shows , and oftentimes every vocalization can be heard .
 Roaming the ridges around the known roost and feeding areas is great therapy during the fall . I never get in a hurry about filling a tag . It's more important to me to have the time to hunt ( 7 week season in Ohio) than to fill a tag .
 The calls of the young birds can be heard often .
  The kee kee or whistle of young birds can be faint or very loud .
  Lost yelps , or long strings of yelps may be heard from either sex and any age bird ,, but is most typical of a hen and brood that has been scattered .
  yelps
  cutts
  purrs
  fightin' purrs
  gobbles
  gobbler yelps
  jake yelps
  kee kee
 kee kee run
  clucks
  leaf scratchin'
  Jake gobbles
 gobbler clucks
 jake clucks

Not as many hunters in the woods in the fall . Most of the archery , deer hunters , hunt the edges where I hunt . Last fall I hunted seven weeks and never ran into another hunter .

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » May 30th, 2010, 3:20 pm

[:D] very good Mark!

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » June 4th, 2010, 4:13 am

nice job mark
Break em at Night...Back at light

Next

Return to Fall Hunting