Last shot...

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
DeanoZ

Last shot...

Postby DeanoZ » May 26th, 2010, 9:33 am

Just got some new intel from a buddy of mine.  He's the one I took hunting with me and towards the end of the hunt we heard that one lone cluck behind our blind.  I could not get out today but told him to go back to that same spot, setup and see if he can't coax that monster Tom we saw to come to his setup.  As it turns out, he heard a lone gobble this morning, but could not get another response.  So that Tom is still out there and he's looking.  Looks like he is now roosting where the blue dot is on the pic and out setup was the yellow dot.  So instead of going to the other place, I've got bird in hand located and I plan to take the trail down further closer to that location (Blue dot) as soon as its light enough to see where I'm going.  My plan is to get as close to the area as I can where they are roosting, but also have eyes into the backyard field where they pitch down.  I'll start off with a few soft clucks and purrs once he pitches down and gauge his temp...if he starts moving away I'll hook around him.  He's a wary old bird and I'm trying to consider the advice given by many here about late season birds...but I think the fact that he is gobbling still is positive and means he's still looking.  I'm debating about the decoy..even though I'll be parked in the woods..if I can find a good clearing with visibility I may put it out there...he does not seem to be interested in calls, but maybe with the lone hen deke out there, that might incite him to come in...dunno, what do you all think?  This is probably going to be my last hunt of the season so I plan to be aggressive in my tactics and do a lot of run n' gun if need be.

Gobblerman

RE: Last shot...

Postby Gobblerman » May 26th, 2010, 11:56 am

Sounds like a great plan to me!  I got nothin' to offer beyond what you're planning on doing.  Go get'em!!
Can't wait to hear how you do.....this kind of stuff is my last link to actually being out there hunting this spring!
Jim

JPH

Postby JPH » May 26th, 2010, 12:29 pm

I'm with Gobblerman, I think you've got an excellent game plan.

But I will add one more bit of advice, and it's going to seem like a huge contradiction. I've encouraged you to be mobile all spring because it has so often worked for me. But here's the part where I often fail (particularly on old gobblers), once you've found what you really feel is the right spot, stop second guessing! During late season, when most of the 2 year old's are dead and the mature toms are only offering a handful of gobbles, you can give up on a good setup too soon. I do it all the time!

What I am trying to say is once you finally get to where you really think he wants to be, maybe he's even gobbled once or twice, then hunt it out. Don't be like me and start getting too smart for your own good. He may well be tip-toeing his way to you and you won't know unless you anchor your but to that killer set! And if you must abandon the set, do it very slowly. He may be right behind you!

I know, I know, I just threw you another curve ball! Sorry, but take it from a chronic wanderer, once you find THE spot you need to give an old gobbler time to make his entrance.

Good luck!!!!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 26th, 2010, 12:55 pm

I agree with Joe. Those old birds aren't real fast coming to a call this time of the year. Switch your calling up also, don't get hung up on just one type, soft or aggressive. Try a lot of young hens sounds, they are the last birds to be breed so offer that type of calling to him, throw some kee kee's at him, and by all means use some Jake calls, some low pitched nasty 3 yelps and some awfull sounding gobbles might wake him up?
Good luck and shoot straight, we're all rooting for ya. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 26th, 2010, 2:10 pm

Glad to hear he is still gobbling too. Your plan ought to work.  It is all about waiting a bird out, so make sure you are comfortable & ready for the long haul.  I hope he flies down right into easy gun range for you, but be prepared if he doesn't. 

Good luck. I'd love to see a picture with you holding him.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 26th, 2010, 2:36 pm

I admit I'm a little reluctant to even post ,Dean. Reason being , you have been given a whole bunch of tips and advice from so many , and this being your ''LAST SHOT'' effort of the season , it's possible you could trip a breaker or just flat out short circuit , as you strain to recall every bit of info ,,,remember how things went on previous hunts ,,,, all the while kicking yourself over mistakes made .

I agree totally with JP &Scott.

This post reminds me of my own mistake ,,,on the last afternoon of the season . The gobbler walked back 'n' forth gobbling at a steady pace . I know he heard my faint calls . He wouldn't come .
 Then as I moved unseen , covered by a wall of super thick brush , he heard my slow and deliberate steps in the 12 inch grass. It drove him nuts . Now it eats at me because I didn't sit him out even though it was raining .

As I've said before ,,,,Turkeys hear other turkeys leaf scratching , and  walking nearly every day ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there are days when they don't hear vocalizations . It's a deadly call ,,,if ya don't get busted in motion.

Dean , you made some good hunts this season ,,,,,and your progression as a turkey hunter , in two seasons , far outshines my first 5 seasons .
 Best wishes on the ''LAST SHOT''.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 26th, 2010, 4:31 pm

You've already received some great advice... Best of luck in the morning, Deano!

<- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <-
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 26th, 2010, 5:41 pm

Gents thanks for the advice and words of encouragement...win..lose..or draw...I feel like I have the best of the best coaching me along and it don't get better than that.  Joe, Jim & Jim, Scott, Mark, Fanclub et al, I will be patient with him..but this guy is no dummy and he did not get to be as big as he is by playing by the rules.  So I won't second guess my setup, and I'll feel him out, take his temp and see how he reacts..I'll mix up the calls and go with my gut...and if I feel the need to move it will be slow and deliberate.  Say a prayer for me fellas...I love the underdog!!!

JPH

Postby JPH » May 26th, 2010, 6:19 pm

Prayer sent! Seriously, and I've got Saint Hubert on the case too.

FireFly908

Postby FireFly908 » May 27th, 2010, 3:01 am

Last bit of advice!!!!!
You are doomed to be unsuccessful if you don't let us know how it turns out!  So be sure and keep us updated!  [;)]

Next

Return to Strategies