Sat 5/15 hunt

roughrider123

Sat 5/15 hunt

Postby roughrider123 » May 18th, 2010, 6:52 am

Decided to head back into deep woods for a long walk.No birds at dawn so tried an area I heard a bird a month ago. Run and gun from 5:30 to 8:30 then sat for a lunch break till 9:30 then walked back out till 11am. Probably 7 miles total. Heard no shots, saw no sign, heard no birds. Saw that Lower lackawanna longbeards are planting trees for the turkeys in food plots.

roughrider out

Everyday Hunter

RE: Sat 5/15 hunt

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 18th, 2010, 8:40 am

Thanks for posting. This is a tough year for a lot of us. I know some good turkey hunters who are having the same kind of luck.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

MAK

Postby MAK » May 18th, 2010, 9:38 am

Weather is messing things up, and those dang pesky hens, we've got the whole gammet from poults to hens that are sitting.

Last couple weeks could prove to be very active, or it's over, who knows!!!  LOL

Doesn't matter, I'm going! 
MAK

shooter458

Postby shooter458 » May 18th, 2010, 3:45 pm

I had the same kind of day saturday the birds here in central pa seem to have developed lock jaw.Since saturday the 8th we had very high winds and rain and then the tuesday after we had snow on the ground.Things haven't been the same since i still have six days off to hunt so back at friday  

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 19th, 2010, 5:02 pm

I have been hunting a big bird off and on all season just cant get a good shot.
I called him on Tue. in the rain and wind he was no more than 25 yds. and with the undergrowth could not see him.
Jon
Turkeybuster

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » May 20th, 2010, 2:22 pm

This has been a season to forget for me. I spent more pre-season time afield than ever and found little if any real turkey sign in spots that have been go to spots for me in the past. I checked out new ground and found some birds but you also have to get a feel for hunting traffic in new areas and these birds were easily found from roadside spots. If your still on a birds area its decent but my areas are downright tough going and usually 40 minutes walk from the truck. I also believe there is more hunter pressure in my areas this year because of alot of turkeys in the area last spring. Time to make a decision about traveling 50 miles to scout and hunt or go out of state for a 2 bird guided hunt and call it a year. I'll be 54 in july and run and gunning 5 or more miles is getting tough. I'll try a roadside roosted bird saturday then post up on a bird that was crossing a road at 9am a couple weeks ago.

roughrider out

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 21st, 2010, 1:12 pm

Dont give up yet rr. you are just a young pup I am 67 and have two weeks scouting and three weeks hunting in at this point. I still do the 5 mi. thing every day. I will hunt until the last horn blows then go into two weeks of depression after the season is over.
You have to hunt if you want to or not it just might be your day.
I must admit that I do it a little slower and right now I am dog tired but we only have one more week to go.
The birds are hard to handle this year and the understory is tough I had several birds within 25 yds. and couldnt see them but whatever it has been a good season so far.
Good Luck this weekend hopefully it will be your day!
Jon
Turkeybuster

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » May 22nd, 2010, 2:43 pm

Glad to see you having a good season at your ripe old age ha ha . Hope I can still do it till i keel over but with working dayshift still and hunting saturdays I think a NY guided hunt is in my close future. Having time off during the weekdays is probably the most critical aspect for me as far as spring turkey goes. 4 years ago I had a job that gave me scheduled days off during the week and I harvested 2 birds that year during week days. I have gone birdless since I'm back on a monday to friday shift. Did not get out today as mother-in-law is in hospice and its close to over. Good luck the rest of the season.

Roughrider out.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 22nd, 2010, 3:35 pm

Sorry to hear the bad news I have been down that road and that is more than enough to put the damper on hunting. Family comes first there is always another hunting season.
Our prayers go out to you and your family I know you are going through a sad time.
Jon
Turkeybuster

Return to Pennsylvania