2010 PA Spring Gobbler proposed dates

wingbone

2010 PA Spring Gobbler proposed dates

Postby wingbone » May 19th, 2009, 8:04 am

The proposed dates for spring 2010 are:

April 24 for the Youth Season
May 1 - 31 for Spring Gobbler.

That's a week later (5 days) then 2009.

Waiting a year was going to be hard enough, waiting a year and five days is going to be a nightmare.

Guess I will have to slide over to Ohio, they start April 19, 2010. Interestingly they are allowing all day hunting the last two weeks of their season next year. I thought the reasoning behind the half day hunt was to allow hens some nesting time. Seems more important latter in the season when they are actually on the nests.?

Do you all think it would be better having an earlier season or later?

rsmithpa

RE: 2010 PA Spring Gobbler proposed dates

Postby rsmithpa » June 5th, 2009, 10:05 am

If the dates are true then, this will exactly like New York and I am not a big fan of the later start.  All day hunting would be tough. I assume then Sunday will be allowed because it is not now. Let's see what they do!

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » June 5th, 2009, 12:34 pm

I bought a ohio turkey tag this year but never used it. stayed in state (WV) and hunted. I got in on a lease last fall in St. Clairsville OH, Belmont Co. That will be kinda neat if they allow all day hunting. It was almost $200.00 for the license a turkey, doe, and deer permit.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » June 5th, 2009, 3:32 pm

ORIGINAL: wingbone

The proposed dates for spring 2010 are:

April 24 for the Youth Season
May 1 - 31 for Spring Gobbler.

That's a week later (5 days) then 2009.

Waiting a year was going to be hard enough, waiting a year and five days is going to be a nightmare.

Guess I will have to slide over to Ohio, they start April 19, 2010. Interestingly they are allowing all day hunting the last two weeks of their season next year. I thought the reasoning behind the half day hunt was to allow hens some nesting time. Seems more important latter in the season when they are actually on the nests.?

Do you all think it would be better having an earlier season or later?

I'd favor an earlier season, although it doesn't make much difference to me.

Yes, the 2010 season is exactly the same as New York's season, but that's only because May 1 falls on a Saturday in 2010, and the PGC had already extended the season to close on the Monday Memorial Day holiday. It's exactly the same length as the 2009 season was. I would not look for the PGC to institute a permanent May 1-31 season.

I do believe, however, that someone (maybe the PA chapter of the NWTF) is lobbying for the season to close on May 31, but not change the opening day. I wouldn't read the 2010 season as a reflection of that. It's still 5 Saturdays plus Memorial Day, Sundays excluded.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 7th, 2009, 3:35 pm

I would opt for the earlier season buy the looks of it most of thhe hens are bred by mid April just my observation. I don't understand the all day hunting the last two weeks either I would also think if they are going to try that the first two weeks would be the best choice.

Why all the saturdays and including Memorial day in this mess are we looking towards what is best for the hunter or the birds. If you are a turkey hunter you will make time to hunt.
Sounds like typical Game Commission politics again.
Just some food for thought on my way to camp 6/5/09 I witnessed a Gobbler in strut with 6 hens in tow what is up with that?
Turkeybuster

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » June 7th, 2009, 5:43 pm

I haven't read about the all-day hunting the final two weeks, but the PGC is very conservative in making changes. The idea of half-day hunting is supposed to be to diminish human activity that might disrupt nesting hens. Many states permit all-day hunting with no ill effects, so my guess is that if we have all-day hunting the last two weeks, the PGC is doing it on a trial basis at a time when fewer hunters are in the woods. My guess is also that this is a step toward all-day hunting if they determine that hunters do not disrupt nesting hens with afternoon hunting.

My view is that if hunters are going to disrupt nesting hens, they are as likely to do it in the morning as in the afternoon, because once hens are incubating, they're sitting all day.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

wingbone

Postby wingbone » June 7th, 2009, 6:01 pm

I am sorry if my original post caused some confusion. I was refering to Ohio having the all day hunting the last two weeks not PA.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » June 7th, 2009, 6:23 pm

ORIGINAL: wingbone

I am sorry if my original post caused some confusion. I was refering to Ohio having the all day hunting the last two weeks not PA.

My bad. I went back and read your post again, and you were clear.

It does, however, sound like something PA would do. And there is a debate going on right now about all-day hunting, although to my knowledge there has not been a proposal to that effect from the PGC.

Steve

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 8th, 2009, 11:55 am

I did read it somewhere and heard some discussion on it in Pa. as being thought about at this point for the up comeing season maybe it was the outdoor news not sure.
Turkeybuster

wingbone

Postby wingbone » June 11th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Hey Turkeybuster,

I just read this in the June 5 issue of Pennsylvania Outdoor News. perhaps this is what you heard.

"House Bill 1294, introduced by Richard Hess, R - Bedford, would allow spring gobbler hunting until 5 p.m. The measure was referred to the Game and Fisheries Committee."

Next

Return to Pennsylvania