Feathers

What's in your collection? What's it worth?
grunt_doc

Feathers

Postby grunt_doc » April 24th, 2009, 10:20 am

Every fall, my mom used to break out the vases of phesant feathers.  They were from a few of the last birds my grandfather shot many years before he died.  They always remind her of him.  I have started do it with turkey feathers myself.  They really look great.  I'll take some pics of mine, but in the mean time, here is what I am talking about.  I found these pics googlefying the interwebs....

It's a nice way to still display some feathers if the whole fan isn't is good condition.

Moonshine Gobbler

RE: Feathers

Postby Moonshine Gobbler » April 24th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Thats looks cool, but I think my cat would be in them.
R

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 26th, 2009, 1:41 pm

just happened to make up one of those feather arrangements over the winter .

now about the CAT.
21 years ago i called in my first tom . a 2 yr bird that nearly ran us over . dad shot it , i did the dressing of the big boy. dad never gave much thought to trophy mounts , so i took the beard , spurs and fan , and the wings . eventually i pulled the wing feathers out one by one hoping to have them cut and fletch a new set of arrows with them. anyhow , my starter wife and i had this big housecat . he was marked just like a siamese, only 2 1/2 times the size . well  i stored those feathers in a paper grocery sack and set it in the closet . one morning about time to leave for work i noticed the cat was missing. i started calling his name . remember , those are the long barred feathers , and the cat comes out of my little sportin' room with at least a half dozen of the longest of the feathers in his mouth , sticking way out on both sides . he came into the livingroon making these bigshot tomcat noises as if to say ''look what i killed '' . i just laughed and called him a liar.

Moonshine Gobbler

Postby Moonshine Gobbler » April 28th, 2009, 4:14 pm

Yup, i had a cat destroy a fan.

R

Tom_Foolery

Postby Tom_Foolery » August 3rd, 2009, 9:56 pm

Hi Doc, We have a friend that puts her collected feathers in an old hanging birdcage. She is the best kind of friend... they have 20 acres of prime turkey territory and I am the only person who hunts it. Honey Hole!

Return to Miscellaneous Turkey Collectibles