Great week in PA

rsmithpa

Great week in PA

Postby rsmithpa » May 8th, 2010, 1:44 am

As always took the first week off from work and headed to camp. I took a 19 lbs, 10 inch beard and inch spur on Monday in the rain.  Wednesday I called in a 16 lbs, 9 1/4 inch beard for a first time turkey hunter.  Thursday I took a 18.5 lbs, 10 1/2 inch beard in the rain.  It was a great week! 
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Turkeybuster

RE: Great week in PA

Postby Turkeybuster » May 9th, 2010, 10:02 am

Congrats. on a great season you wore them out all in one week now what?
I killed one Tue. and knocked a bird down Wed. that got away my fault misjudged the distance in the open woods [:@] but I have been on birds each day. I saw the biggest turkey I ever saw yesterday he walked away from me two days in a row into a safety zone going after him tomorrow again will see what happens.
Jon [:D]
Turkeybuster

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » May 10th, 2010, 6:46 am

Congrats on a fine week to both hunters ! The area I hunt is down from previous years and getting green fast. Glad to see someone in Pa. having some luck.

roughrider out

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » May 11th, 2010, 9:40 am

Did see and hear a good number of birds the first week in the northern tier.  Each area has been different.  Its called hunting for a reason, I guess.  Good Luck to you there is still plenty of time left in the season to fill your tag (s). 

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » May 11th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Photos of my week

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 11th, 2010, 3:39 pm

Congrats, Bob!

It's been tougher over here in Warren County. I've called in one bird (twice in the same day), heard another gobble over 70 times on the roost and then fly down and go the other way, and one more single gobble from a bird across the valley. Other than that I've walked my legs off but can't raise a gobble.

But, I'm always optimistic. I can hunt until May 20, 8 more days.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » May 11th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Thanks Steve,

I have had those years when you want to throw in the towel but, the more time you spend in the woods, that magical day shows up and you seem to forgot those down days.  Stay after it and good luck.  Let us know how you make out in Penns Woods.

Bob

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 12th, 2010, 5:30 am

No luck yet!  Haveing a 11 month old baby girl has cut my hunting time down this year. First morning I walked up on 8 deer while going to my set up and they ended up spooking the birds. Later that morning we got one to answer a call. He was about 200 yards out. We went to get to a good setup spot. Half way there we were coming up a rocky hill and ran face to face with him. Evidently he was hotter then we thought and made what had to be almost a dead run right to us. He took off but ended up still going to where we called from in the first place. He did not answer locator calls which is why we used a hen call to locate. Odd thing is that the terrain he came through would usually hang a bird up. Which is why we moved from the spot we called from.

The second day we went out it started to pour down rain. Now I have no proble hunting in the rain but I have my limits as to how hard of a rain I will sit in. So I plan to go out tomorrow to a spot that has done well for me in the past. Hope it's a good day!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » May 12th, 2010, 6:31 am

Good week indeed, congrats!!!

Cool looking wingbone call in the one pic, did you make that?
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » May 13th, 2010, 3:14 am

That call is a cane yelper made by Smokey McCutcheon in TN.  It is a real great call for spring and fall.

Next

Return to Pennsylvania