Question for the call makers

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
shad309

Question for the call makers

Postby shad309 » May 11th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Ok, I have been looking at all the fine examples of calls each one of you have posted here and I am blown away. I was so taken by some of them that I have already placed the first of many future orders. My wife is not gonna like this website.......

Not only do I want calls from each one of you, now I want to try my hand too. I am going to try and make a long box (hand carved). I found a local supply store for millworkers but they don't have the thickness of materials I need to carve out a solid body long box. Do any of you know where I can find material that will be thick enough for me to work with?

I think I am going to try with cedar first. If it works out well I want to try some exotic woods.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated!
Shad Arington

Kawboy888

RE: Question for the call makers

Postby Kawboy888 » May 11th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Ebay. For long boxes I like spanish cedar, eastern red cedar (aromatic red cedar) and butternut for the body. Poplar is a very forgiving wood but it's kind of cheap so I personally pass on it. You can also check out pricing by using google and searching by wood type.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

shad309

Postby shad309 » May 11th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Thanks Rich! Never thought about the bay for wood. Will give it a shot
Shad Arington

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 11th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Poplar is inexpensive and for that reason it makes a very good wood to start with, your not out much if your wreck a few as your learning, and it's also easy to get and easy to work with. It makes a good sounding long box with a cherry or walnut paddle or whatever you like?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Call Makers