Strike 2!!!

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
DeanoZ

RE: Strike 2!!!

Postby DeanoZ » May 5th, 2010, 11:55 am

Thanks Jim and Gbln Fvr...ok so no calling off the roost...quite frankly I had debated about doing it to begin with..i mean my deke was out there so he had to see it. I would not use a deke, but to be honest I think that's the only thing that keeps pulling him in...in 2 of the 3 encounters I had not called in some time and BAM..he magically appears within 30 yards of it strutting his stuff.  At this point I think he knows it well..he just keeps hoping its not decoy...so perhaps tomorrow I won't use it and hope my calls bring him in.  I don't expect him to be in the same roost tonight...I think he knows his jig is up and I'm on to him so tomorrow will be interesting!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 5th, 2010, 12:12 pm

They will educate ya, some days you can call until your blue in the face, the next day if you only look at a call they will be all over ya. You have to just hit it when he's in the right mood. [8|]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » May 5th, 2010, 11:58 pm

I missed then killed my bird a week later in the same area. Not the exact same spot but close enough. One other turkey was killed after I missed but before I killed in the same area. I would loose the decoy now and switch your call type if ya can.
South Carolina Low Country

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 7th, 2010, 6:03 am

Just an update all, unfortunately I managed to catch the flu late Wednesday night and was out sick all day Thursday and was not up to par for a 0300 wakeup and hunt this morning....so the Gob lives for now, and assuming he makes it through the weekend I'll be out there Monday morning.  If I get the chance Sunday, I'll try to roost him, but my plan for now is to be on the other side of the field where he pitched down on Wednesday.  Contrary to everyone's advice I plan to use a different decoy...my experience tells me it works, at least in getting him to come closer to me...we'll see.  If after Monday's encounter it does not go well, I'll ditch the decoys and get a different  call and see what happens.  Thanks all for the advice, please keep it coming and keep me in your prayers for a successful hunt come Monday morning...I hope to have pics then :)

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 7th, 2010, 11:26 am

Da'gummit ,,,I hate when the flu hits ,,,,no matter what time of year . I actually felt like I had the flu just the other day . Turns out to be allergies . My allergies have been worse this spring ,,worse than any other time in my life .
 I hope you heal up quick and kill that ornery ''TEACHER BIRD ''  you been foolin' with .
 Don't be kissin' the baby [:D]

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 7th, 2010, 11:35 am

I hear ya Mark...yanno just when your firing on all cylinders the good Lord has other plans.  I'd been tired from all the early mornings so no doubt it was his way of showing me patience...not my will but thy will be done...that's how i see it!  i got me a buddy's decoy so come Monday I'm going to throw it into the mix with my other and change up my call and see if that buys me anything...if not I'm ditching the deke's.  This bird has been learning me something good I tell ya...but its all good and I'm appreciating the lessons.   Oh and for the record...the baby is the one who got us sick...better than the other way around I guess and it will be a good story to tell when he gets older and can join me in the woods [;)]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 7th, 2010, 1:09 pm

OH SURE ,,,,BLAME THE BABY!!![:D]

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 7th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Good luck when you go again. A different location may be all it takes. Knock him out. You've earned him.

I am going to call for the landowner for a couple of hours tomorrow, as it is the last day of our season.  I've been after him to go for a couple of weeks now.  Good thing there's a last minute.  He only plans on staying an hour or two at the most.  I'll probably just sit a while and see what shows, if I have someone to shoot with me or not.  E.P. is going to be hunting on the back side of the property, so I'll have someone to talk with on the radio.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 8th, 2010, 6:33 pm

LOL Mark...your absolutely right!!  Wasn't him who got caught with his pants down, couldn't reposition himself quickly enough or missed...twice!!!  Jim, good advice and I think your right.  best of luck to you as well...as they say some of the best seasons are made in the last few minutes of the last day of the hunt!!! 

Hey quick question, whats the best way t position two hen dekes together...was thinking fairly close to each, quartering away from me?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 8th, 2010, 7:20 pm

If you have a jake with them then facing away with the jake behind. Just the hens then facing toward you, a Tom will always try to get in front of a hen.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies