Late season ?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
WyoHunter

Late season ?

Postby WyoHunter » May 6th, 2010, 9:18 am

The weather in NW Wyoming has been limiting the opportunities for my turkey hunting this year. It seems every time I have a chance to go the weather is bad (very windy, snowing or both). Just got back from from a weather shortened hunt on public ground that gets a fair amount of pressure. I "run & gun" a lot of ground with no responses although I did see three lone hens. I've been very successful in the past but most kills have been in the first two weeks of the season. It looks like I'll have the last 3 days of the season to hunt - season closes on May 20. This will be a new experience for me. How would you approach this situation? Any and all suggestions appreciated.  
Gobble, Gobble, Gobble! Springtime serenade for us Turkey Hunters!

Gobblerman

RE: Late season ?

Postby Gobblerman » May 6th, 2010, 9:38 am

Hi, Bob...welcome from NM. 

How are your birds for responding to locator calls?  Our Merriams here are very vocal on the roost, both in the mornings and evenings.  I always start out by finding the gobblers with roost locating tactics, and then proceed from there.  Locate the gobblers, set up close before daylight in the mornings and try to call them off the roost first thing.  If that fails, and if I have a lot of country to hunt, I'm runnin' and gunnin' for the rest of the day until late afternoon.  At that point, it is back to the roost areas located and try to call in the gobblers going back to roost. 

Good luck!

Jim

Bobbyparks

RE: Late season ?

Postby Bobbyparks » May 6th, 2010, 4:40 pm

ORIGINAL: Gobblerman

Hi, Bob...welcome from NM. 

How are your birds for responding to locator calls?  Our Merriams here are very vocal on the roost, both in the mornings and evenings.  I always start out by finding the gobblers with roost locating tactics, and then proceed from there.  Locate the gobblers, set up close before daylight in the mornings and try to call them off the roost first thing.  If that fails, and if I have a lot of country to hunt, I'm runnin' and gunnin' for the rest of the day until late afternoon.  At that point, it is back to the roost areas located and try to call in the gobblers going back to roost. 

Good luck!

Jim

I'd do what he says. 
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Return to Strategies