My scratchbox--PICTURE ADDED

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Everyday Hunter

My scratchbox--PICTURE ADDED

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 28th, 2010, 4:52 pm

I finished my scratchbox call today. I have made 35 of them, and have a list of people to field test them.

I've made some bodies out of cherry and others with zebrawood. A few of the zebrawood have walnut ends because I ran out of zebrawood. They look pretty good. The sound boards are cedar, butternut or walnut, and the striker boards are rubberwood. I need to do some final tuning on most of them, but the ones I have tuned sound pretty good.

I'll take some photos and post when I get the chance.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Kawboy888

RE: My scratchbox

Postby Kawboy888 » April 28th, 2010, 5:56 pm

CAN'T WAIT to see these pics Mr. Sorensen! 2 more days, I hope you're ready!
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

Cut N Run

RE: My scratchbox

Postby Cut N Run » April 29th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Have a great opener, Steve.  Looking forward to reading about how your call brought a gobbler in like he was on a chain.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Everyday Hunter

RE: My scratchbox -- PICTURE ADDED!

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 3rd, 2010, 11:47 am

Sorry for the delay. Here's a photo of three of my scratchboxes:
Left: Cherry body with cedar soundboard.
Center: Zebrawood body with walnut ends and walnut soundboard.
Right: Cherry body with butternut soundboard. I'm using a rubberwood strikerboard on all my calls.

I was out today and called in a big gobbler twice, once around 8:30 and again around 10:00, using the cedar call. The first time a hen came in and took him away, and the second time two hens came in and took him away. After I got home I received a phone call from one of my field testers, who said he got a nice bird with the butternut version today -- 9½" beard and 1" spurs.

Thanks for your patience.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Bryan78

RE: My scratchbox -- PICTURE ADDED!

Postby Bryan78 » May 3rd, 2010, 12:22 pm

I must say that those are very nice looking calls, great craftsmanship.  First time that I can think of that I ever saw a scratchbox.  Here I thought you guys were talking abut box calls and that was just another name for them.  Guessed I learned something new today.  How do you use one of those?

wingbone

RE: My scratchbox--PICTURE ADDED

Postby wingbone » May 3rd, 2010, 1:20 pm

Wow Steve! Those look sharp. Do you have an iron with your stenciled logo or do your wood burn them by hand?

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » May 3rd, 2010, 3:01 pm

I love a scratchbox. Great sounds and compact. Those are great looking.

Bryan-You hold the small wood block in your palm then work the box against it similar to a long box.
South Carolina Low Country

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 3rd, 2010, 4:01 pm

ORIGINAL: wingbone

Wow Steve! Those look sharp. Do you have an iron with your stenciled logo or do your wood burn them by hand?

Thanks. I ordered a wood burning tool with my logo on it. I'm not sure yet that I'm glad I did that. For one thing, they made a mistake, which I have to address with them. For another, they're expensive (but they look better than a rubber stamp.)

Steve

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 3rd, 2010, 4:18 pm

They look very nice Steve good job on them. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

PATURKEYHUNTER

Postby PATURKEYHUNTER » May 5th, 2010, 8:32 am

Here is my story, I set up on this ridge between two fields around 9am. Where I knew that an Old Tom or two were working. I started to make my first series of calls and had no answer. So I waited for 15 minutes and started to make my second series of calls, when a hen cut me off. So I cut her off and then the old Tom let out a loud gobble. Now the largest challenge I would have is to call him off the hens or call the hens in and hope they bring him into shooting distance. So I backed off and started some light purrs, soft yelps, and some clucks. He gobbled several more times getting closer and closer. Until I saw two hens working their way towards me, they past me 10 yards away. All of a sudden just coming up over the ridge, I could see a turkey fan going back and forth, so I let out a soft purr. He could not resist the soft purr of the butternut scratchbox. It was like he was on a leash. I let him gobble several times, spitting and drumming the whole in, as I purred on the butternut scratchbox, then I made a loud cluck. I shot at 20 yards and there was my gobbler lying on the ground motionless. I love when things come together. It will definitely be my #1 call for turkey now. Matter of fact I just gave my box call to my little cousin.
Thank you for reading and God bless!

AJ

Next

Return to Call Makers