2010 CT season opens with a bang.

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
Matt Raymond

2010 CT season opens with a bang.

Postby Matt Raymond » May 1st, 2010, 12:07 pm

Hey Guys,

Hope this photo comes through, this is my 1st post on the forum. This is my second season hunting turkeys. Last year my turkey mentor/expert got me into it, and called in a gorgeous 23lb Tom, and I was with him to take the shot. It was a great way to start off turkey hunting, but for the remainder of last season, I couldn't make it happen on my own. I'm sure I made plenty of mistakes but learned from them. This season, I really wanted to get a bird on my own...solo. On the 4th day of the season, after having been skunked on two occasions and busted on the other two, I called in and bagged this nice year old Jake. He's not huge....15lbs with a 4 inch beard and what I would call "nubs" for spurs. I think I hunted this bird the morning before, that's when I nicknamed him "Silent Jake". I got into the woods late yesterday and figured I'd just set up and soft call for awhile and see what happened. It was windy, and didn't think anything was going to happen. After a few hours of calling, a decent Jake came over a rise and looked right at me, he stayed out about 60 yards and watched me the whole time as he walked away just out of range. This morning I got out before light and the woods were on fire. Gobblers were sounding off in various packs in areas of land around me that is not open to hunting. I got up onto my ridge/rise and was calling to them and they were responding, but were way off in the distance, and I could not pursue. After about an hour, I changed positions when I could hear that the were way off and continued. After a short while, I heard a lonely gobble off on my right flank, which was the area that "Silent Jake" had come from yesterday. Once he gobbled, I repositioned again to close a little distance and get off of the spot on which I was busted the morning before. That did the trick...he gobbled once more at about 50 yards around the ridge still out of sight. I gave a few short squeaks to let him know I was still there and he strolled up over a mound and around the bend at 30 yards. When he came into view, I thought for sure he could hear my heart pounding, as it was just about coming out of my chest! I let fly a 2 oz load of copper plated #4's from my trusty Remington 11-87 Super Mag with a jelly head choke...you can see how he responded to that last call....This was my 2nd bird ever and meant more to me than the big one I shot last year. I got this one on my own from start to finish.

The CT season opened up for an extra week this year on the front side, and with State and Private land tags, I have 4 left, and a bird in the Fall. I can't believe it took me this long to get into turkey hunting, it's like nothing else...

Matt

Fargohunt

RE: 2010 CT season opens with a bang.

Postby Fargohunt » May 1st, 2010, 12:48 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! Matt[:D][:D] Man this stuff is addictive isn't it--good going on your own!! You have a lot to be proud of and hopefully your mentor will also appreciate it. Thanks for sharing the story too.

Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 1st, 2010, 2:04 pm

Sounds like we have another addict on our hands.  There's noting like taking your first solo gobbler.  Here's to many more.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

shad309

Postby shad309 » May 1st, 2010, 4:10 pm

Congrats on the bird!!!
Shad Arington

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 1st, 2010, 5:02 pm

Congrats Matt on your solo first. I'd have to agree Jim, sounds like he's hooked [:D].
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!