2010 season

SCHUNTER

2010 season

Postby SCHUNTER » March 28th, 2010, 5:32 am

Ok so for all that are hunting already.how is your season going so far?
and for the rest of us how many day do you have till opening day?
my season starts on thursday and i am finding it hard to sleep already.
is it april yet?

kenturkey89

RE: 2010 season

Postby kenturkey89 » March 28th, 2010, 9:06 am

I have 20 days left until spring season opens here in Kentucky. I'm already losing sleep and I still have about 3 weeks left. I've purchased some new calls and gadgets, patterned my gun, and I even roosted a few birds the other night. I started a countdown about 4 weeks ago so I'm just itching to get set-up on a bird!!!

webfoot

Postby webfoot » March 29th, 2010, 2:05 pm

I feel the excitement too! I won't be able to hunt Thursday due to work, but they better watch out 4/2. Got some birds located on public land and hope to get the jump on everybody else. I might better go to sleep with them [:D].

mbcook

Postby mbcook » March 31st, 2010, 11:49 am

my season started back on the 15th I have heard a lot of birds and have seen some nice ones to.....i finally got me a jake this monday morning

SCHUNTER

Postby SCHUNTER » April 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am

have had a good first three days.seen two jacks on opening day.one jack-a hen-and two big toms on the second day.and had the same big jack in frount of me and my nephew.and he has never killed a turkey so i gave him the green light on that jack.after a nice shot at 40yrds.he has his first turkey on the ground. photo and story to come.now its my turn am going to try and find them two gobblers this afternoon.

Swampgobbler

Postby Swampgobbler » April 5th, 2010, 12:57 pm

My first day was a huge bust. Didn't hear any birds on the roost and didn't see so much as a feather. Land owner says the place is loaded, guess we'll see. Trying another spot tomorrow in dillon county

Swampgobbler

Postby Swampgobbler » April 19th, 2010, 3:17 am

man this place got quiet... just to recap the season so far, it was filled with many lows but ended on a high note.  I hunted 3 different pieces of property that was supposed to be full of birds.  Never heard a single gobble or saw as much as a feather.  Not even any tracks in a freshly plowed field.  I was starting to get discouraged until i realized my favorite hunting tract was now free of any pro staffers with video cameras.  The morning started with me walking in the pitch black to find a suitable place to sit.  As it got light out, I could see strut marks in a sandy area I was crossing.  After setting 2 hen decoys out, I waited on the sun to rise and hoped to hear at least one gobble.  He gobbled maybe 5 times before getting quiet on me.  I clucked a few times to let him know I was in the same zip code and then got quiet on him.  He strutted in from 300 yds out straight to my gun barrel.  Bird weighed 20lbs, had  10 1/2" beard, and sported 1 1/8" spurs.  I killed him on the other side of a small canal that runs through the property.  Had to strip down to my underwear and swim to get him, but it was more than worth it.  Hope everyone else is having a blast.  

SCHUNTER

Postby SCHUNTER » May 1st, 2010, 9:56 am

yes it did get quite in here.everyone is hunting trying to get one .season is over for me.all in all it was a good season get my nephew his first turkey a 12.5 lbs jake-5.5" beard.got him on the 3rd day of the season.then it was a long dry spell seeing a lot of turkeys but none would come in close enough. had been seeing two nice toms in the frount field a lot around 4:30 .so on the next too last day.i set up in the coner of the field. and around 5:00 out pops both toms at about 150yrds from us.set there and call a few times and thay hung up.worked the two for 1hrs and all thay would do was strut.finely around 6:00 one went back in the woods and one started heading to another field.so i tryed too get in frount of him after a run through the wood to the back field.i look out and see him and hen already in the back of the field.no chance of getting him.so i head back to my set up.and TJ called saying that the other tom was on the road comming to the decoys.after another trip through the woods.i get to my set up and the tom is about 40yrd from the decoys.after a couple of soft calls.he came in to about 25yrds.and that was his final mistake.18.6lbs.9.5"beard-one spur 1"and the other is 1-2/16.great hunt and a great finish of a tough 2010 season.hope everyone had as much fun as we did this season.haveing some problems uplodeing photo but will get them up soon.

SCHUNTER

Postby SCHUNTER » May 2nd, 2010, 4:16 am

here is TJ first turkey

SCHUNTER

Postby SCHUNTER » May 2nd, 2010, 4:21 am

here is mine

Next

Return to South Carolina