mix match hen decoys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
doepee

mix match hen decoys

Postby doepee » April 27th, 2010, 3:48 pm

Does anyone mix match their decoys i have 2 cherokee hen decoys and got given 3 other decoys that are foam completely different decoys and looks . Would you guys stick with just one kind or mix match.. Thanks

mcvitullo

RE: mix match hen decoys

Postby mcvitullo » April 28th, 2010, 2:24 am

I've been useing only Carrylites for a few years now. The easy fold feeding hens are really dark and basically black and then I throw my basically buff colored Pretty Penny in my spread as well. I've really cut down on the amount of decoys I bring with me. I only take Pretty Penny with me now. In my opinion, a single hen decoy is a must if your hunting anywhere the turkeys can see well. If I'm hunting in open woods, fields, or on gas lines, you'll never catch me with out a decoy. They can be a pain sometimes but it will pay off.
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » April 28th, 2010, 3:24 am

I usually separate the different makes.  I've had success with that, but I've never tried mixing them.  It might not make any difference, but don't know.   My Carrylite feeding hens are larger than my DSD, so I don't put them next to each other to offer the live birds a chance to compare.  Again, it might not make any diff.

247limbhanger

Postby 247limbhanger » April 28th, 2010, 7:40 am

ive been useing carrylites and delta decoys mix for a few years now and have never had a problem.
two in the freezer is better than two in the tree.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 30th, 2010, 12:51 pm

I prefer to mix them up, no two turkeys are alike. Each bird has it's own shape, size, and color phase. It looks more natural with differant birds in a flock.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Strategies