Youth day Success!

Mossberg835

Youth day Success!

Postby Mossberg835 » April 26th, 2010, 5:06 am

My father and I took my 12 year old brother Jed out for his 1st spring hunt. Got in the woods at 5:55 after hearing the 1st gobble of the morning. Done at 6:10. Jed got a big Jake, 18 pounds(big for a jake), 1/2 inch spurs, and a really cool 4 inch beard that curved 2 ways. Will tell the whole story later, was a great hunt though!!!!
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

longspur

RE: Youth day Success!

Postby longspur » April 26th, 2010, 9:59 am

Congrats, That will be a hunt he will never forget. Great job sharing the love of our sport. Hope the rest of the season goes well for you guys. -Kevin

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 27th, 2010, 4:51 am

Thanks Longspur. We have a feeling this year will be great b/c hens arent talking at all, and we haventseen a single gobbler strutting here, and the gobblers were hammering everything, and no hens with them, I'm excited. Peace out!

fightingspurs

Postby fightingspurs » April 27th, 2010, 7:02 am

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!To your brother its great to hear the younger kids are getting out hunting and enjoying the woods...
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 27th, 2010, 8:14 am

Here is a picture of the turkey my brother shot. Cant see the call well because of the flash, sorry. Used an Ol' Glory Frictionite call from primos. They hammered it. Also used a Quakerboy Ol Boss Hen mouth call, but they answered that less.

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 27th, 2010, 10:19 am

Here is the story as promised; The hunt actually started 2 days before we actually got the turkey. My dad and I got up Thursday and Friday and went to listen for turkeys gobbling on the roost. On thursday the first turkey to speak his mind did so way down near the other road. Then 9 more got to firing off down his way and we were thnking, great, another year where all the turkeys are a mile away on the other property. Then low and behold... GOBBBLLLEEEEEE! Right across the field, I mean close. Then 2 more cranked off right by him. Man were my dad and I pumped. Then 2 more cranked off behind them only 50 yards further in the woods. Friday we had to listen a little longer because it was even colder than the day before. Only 34 degrees. It was freezing[:(]. But thankfully there was no wind like the day before[:D]. This time the first turkey to shout out was one of our turkeys, but further in the woods than the day before. Then the turkeys down near the otherroad cranked off and hit it hard. Then the other 4 gobblers on the farm gobbled and they were off the farm but only by 50 yards, mabey. They were still in the area though and were hot, which was a good sign for the next day.

We then went perch fishing that day and got a nice mess of them.

The next morning we were up by 4:00 AM. We had already decided we would cross the field and just wait to hear the first gobble of the morning because, unfortunately, we hadnt had time the night before roost one[:(]. We got to the other side of the field at 5:25AM and it was COLDDDDDD!! We waited and waited to hear that first gobble but the turkeys were not talking. Then one finally cranked off at 5:50 AM. We snuck into the woods and the turkeys were really firing off. We each took turns going 20 yards, then the other person would come, etc. We got to a good spot with a turkey gobbling 90 yards away. I set out the decoys and then went to sit down, but dad had me sit at a different tree, which turned out to be a good choice.

I pulled out my Ol' Glory and put my Ol Boss Hen in my mouth. Dad pulled out his Lynch world championship box call and we both did some light tree yelps and clucks. Then we did a flydown with our hats. The turkeys hammered at it all. Boy were they HOT!!! Then I heaard purring and thought a hen was close by. Then I really let the turkeys have it. One old gobbler would about choke himself everytime I called. Then a turkey pitched out of a tree 40 yards away(what the heck). We hadnt even heard a peep from this turkey. Another turkey gobbled when he pitched out and then did the ame. We heard them meating up with eachother in a small hollow were they were out of view. Then dad motioned for me to call and I let rip with my Ol' Glory. They hammered back!!! I called more and here they came. They popped over the ridge and headed right for us. They pretty much ran right in. Jed asked dad if they were toms, but dad couldnt see b/c a tree had him blocked. Then they got 10yards away and i called and they noticed the decoys and right when they went to turn toward them, dad told jed to take him. Jed obliged and absolutely smoked the jake from 10yards with the freakin 835. The kids only 12 years old and shoots that gun like it nothing. The jake did a backflip and I jumped up and beat dad to the turkey, and I was 20 yards behind him! I clucked loudly and the other turkeys gobbled and the other jake actually stopped running, so I dont think they are too spooked.

This was Jeds first ever spring hunt and boy was he excited.

Here are the Measurements:
Weight: 18lbs
Beard: 4inches
Spurs: 1/2 inch left leg, 1/2 ich right leg

Best spring hunt I have ever been on!![:D][:D][:D]

Return to New York